Bharat Electronics Limited (IAST: Bhārat Electronics limiṭeḍ) (BEL) is an Indian state-owned aerospace and defense company with about nine factories and various regional offices in India.
It is owned by the Indian Government and majority manufactures advanced electronic products for the Indian Armed Forces. BEL is one of nine PSUs controlled by the Ministry of Defence of India. It has been given Navratna status by the Government of India.
BEL designs, develops and manufactures a range of products in the following areas:
- Electronic voting machines
- Voter-verified paper audit trail
- Traffic signals
- BEL Weapon Locating Radar
- BEL Battle Field Surveillance Radar
- Indian Doppler Radar
- Samyukta Electronic Warfare System
- Central acquisition radar (3D-CAR)
- Reporter Radar
- Sound and vision broadcasting
- Information technology
- Akash (missile)
- Composite Communication System (CCS)
- Fire-control system
- Electronic warfare systems
- Samyukta electronic warfare system
- Tank electronics
- Combined day sight for Arjun MBT
- Defence communications
- Data Link II communications system for the Indian Navy’s P-8I
- Combat management system for Indian Navy
- Solar systems
- Naval systems
- A low-cost tablet PC being used in the Socio-economic Caste Census 2011
- Biometrics Capturing for Nation Population Register
- Encrypters for the Ministry of Home Affairs
- IFF (Identify Friend or Foe) secondary radar
- VHF radio
- IEMC (Internal Environment Monitoring & Control) [earlier called SSMC]
Some products are produced by Bharat Electronics Ltd. with help of ToT (Transfer of Technology).
- BEL Thales Limited
BEL-Thales Systems Limited is a Joint Venture Company (JVC) between Bharat Electronics Limited and Thales. Incorporated on August 28, 2014, the company is situated in the BEL Industrial Estate, Jalahalli, Bengaluru.
- GE-BE Pvt Limited
GE-BE Pvt Limited was established in 1997 as a joint venture between Bharat Electronics Limited and General Electric Medical System. The facility based at Whitefield, Bangalore, manufactures X-ray tubes for RAD & F and CT systems, as well as components such as high voltage tanks and detector modules for CT systems. The goods are exported worldwide and meet the safety and regulatory standards specified by FDA, CE, MHW, AERB and the facility has been accredited with ISO-9001; ISO-13485 and ISO-14001 certifications. GE-BEL also markets the conventional X-ray tubes made at the Pune unit of BEL. The turnover of GE-BEL during 2004–2005 was over ₹4.50 billion (US$97 million) including an export of over ₹4.30 billion (US$92 million). The company has been recognized for its advanced export performance since 1998 by the Export Promotion Councils
Bharat Electronics is forming some joint ventures to gain technical excellence. Bharat Electronics Limited has established a joint venture with General Electric (GE) the USA, for manufacturing high voltage tanks and detector modules for computed tomography (CT) scan systems and advanced level of X-ray tubes. The company is in the process of joining with Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) to establish a joint venture to make solar photovoltaic components. BEL has signed a memorandum of understanding with Indus Teqsite, Chennai, for the design and development of digital subsystems for its equipment, test systems for its radars, avionics, and electronic warfare, and another with the French company Thales International to established a joint venture for civilian and defense radar. BEL has signed a memorandum of understanding with Textron Systems to give micro-observer unattended ground sensor (UGS) systems to the Indian security agencies.