Pension matters relating to State Governments are dealing with by the respective State Governments. Pension issues for the Government of India are separately dealt with for Defence, Railways, Posts, Telecommunications, and City employees. We in the Central Pension Accounting Office along with Ministries/Departments of Government of India covering the Department of Pensions and Pensioners Welfare and Banks play a role in pension issues only as regards Central Civil employees.
For pension issues concerning employees of or rules and procedures governing these matters of Defence, Railways, Posts, and Telecommunications reference has to be made to the proper Ministries/Departments and organizations thereunder.
The Central (Civil) pensions are authorized through the Central Pension Accounting Office (CPAO) functioning under the Controller General of Accounts. CPAO is administering the ‘Scheme for Payment of Pensions to Central Government Civil Pensioners by Authorized Banks (both Public Sector and some Private sector Banks)’.
Its functions covers:
- Publish of Special Seal Authorisations (SSA) for pension payments to Authorised Banks.
- Drafting of the budget for the Pension Grant and accounting thereof.
- Reconciliation with and performance review of banks with respect to pension payments and disbursements.
The scope of the Scheme extends to all pensioners of the Central Government employed in Civil Ministries/Departments (other than Railways, Posts, and Defence), National Capital Territory of Delhi, Union Territory Administrations without legislatures, retired Judges of the High Courts and the Supreme Court and All India Service Officers. This Scheme also includes payment of pension to former Members of Parliament and the payment of pension and other amenities to the former Presidents/Vice Presidents of India.
CPAO was made with the primary objective of simplifying the procedure and reducing the number of agencies for pension payment and to expedite the process of authorization, revision, and transfer of pension through Authorized Banks. The operation of CPAO is fully computerized and it maintains a databank of Central (Civil) pensioners. Over 1246548 pensioners are given pension concerned services by the CPAO through more than 70788 paying bank branches all over the country.
Committed to giving excellence in pension delivery and Accounting to Central Civil Pensioners
- Realistic Budgeting
- To ensure accurate and prompt authorization of pension
- Effective Grievance Redressal Mechanism for pensioners
- Leverage information and Communication technology to achieve intended goals
- To provide information to all stakeholders
- Promote professional integrity through a dedicated team to service ethos
- Checks and balances – through robust and computerized Internal Audit