Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis has set the Friday evening deadline for the authorities to find what led to the collapse of the deck of a foot-over bridge in Mumbai. Six people lost their lives in the Thursday evening incident. Many others are injured.
Fadnavis, who visited the site of bridge collapse this morning, said, he has asked the authorities to “fix primary responsibility” for the bridge collapse by “this evening”.
“There are around 10 injured admitted in the ward. One person is in the ICU. All of them are out of danger now. The high-level inquiry will be conducted to probe into the matter. FIR has been lodged,” Fadnavis said after meeting those injured and admitted in a hospital.
The incident happened near the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, which is one of the busiest railway stations in the country. The bridge was constructed in 1980. In a structural audit conducted last year, the collapsed foot-over bridge was given clearance by the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation.
Fadnavis had on Thursday said, “If the bridge collapses despite clearance, it raises questions on the audit.”
Congress leader Milind Deora also raised the question on the safety audit. “After the Elphinstone tragedy, the foot overbridge outside CSMT has collapsed despite being structurally audited just six months ago,” Deora tweeted.
Meanwhile, news agency PTI reported that the BMC is likely to take a call on the future of the collapsed bridge. Civic commissioner Ajoy Mehta will meet Road and Bride department officials and then take a call on dismantling the entire FOB, PTI quoted a BMC spokesperson as saying.