As India took its initial steps as a political entity in 1947, the policymakers recognized that it would be in the country’s best interests to cultivate indigenous warship building as a strategic capability. In 1961, after Goa’s liberation, the potential of a small shipyard called “Estaleiros Navais de Goa” to help towards this national aspiration was recognized. The Yard later renamed Goa Shipyard Limited, was consciously shaped, developed and upgraded to become one of the country’s major defense shipbuilding hubs on the west coast.
Over the years, Goa Shipyard Ltd. slowly developed to meet the growing shipbuilding needs of the country’s naval defense sector, in the process going on to design and build a wide range of vessels for the defense as well as the commercial sectors.
As one of the little Indian shipyards equipped with an in-house design capability, GSL carries out its own Research & Development, in the process developing an in-house product range that efficiently meets the specific needs of clients in the defence as well as commercial sectors in the fields of design, construction, repair and modernization of vessels. Most new shipbuilding projects at GSL are rooted in our own in-house design – the result of intensive R&D activity carried out over the years. presently, the Company is developing a range of Patrol Vessels from 29 m to 110 m
GSL’S inherent strengths are:
- An ISO 9001 Certified Company
- In-house design capability.
- World class CAD/CAM facility with Tribon platform.
- ERP enabled management integrated with design and planning application which enables for effective database management, project monitoring, and control.
- Shift Lift facility of 6000 Tonnes and Repair berths.
- Modern steel preparation shop with CNC plate cutting machines, automatic shot blasting equipment & CNC pipe bending machine.
- Modern Electronic Workshop.
- Ship Repair and General Engineering Services.
- Setting up of Simulated Training facilities.
- A workforce of over 1700 skilled personnel and over 265. Qualified Engineers and Naval Architects.
- GSL offers a wide spectrum of services to its valued customers which cover:
- Designing and building a variety of vessels and simulating training facility.
- Repair and modernization of vessels.
- Supply of Stern Gear.
- To assist in the build up a strong industrial base through development of ancillaries.
- Promote Scheduled Caste/Tribe persons by giving them preference in employment in the company and in the promotion of SC/ST employees as specified by the Government.
- To ensure that the ecological balance is not disturbed due to industrialization, with the help pollution control, wherever required.
- To reinforce Government’s efforts in promoting social justice to the people at vast by formulating corporate policies on employment, welfare, workers’ participation, consistent with the Government’s policies. Encourage use of Hindi as a medium of communication.