When it comes to renewal of passports in India, individuals can get two modes. Firstly, the online mode and the other are the offline modes. Here, we address both the processes in a detailed manner. For applicants who wish to apply online, they need to ensure that the steps mentioned below are followed:
Registering Online for Passport Renewal Process
The first step in looking to applying for passport renewal through online requires the applicant to have a passport account on the official website of Passport Seva. A person can create a passport account by following the steps mentioned below:
- The person must first register for passport renewal on the Passport Seva website.
- If already registered on the website, a person can log in using the link ‘Existing User? Login’.
- If not an existing user, the individual needs to click on ‘New User? Register Now’.
- Next, select the passport office closest based on the current address.
- Give the basic details that include name, date of birth etc.
- Create a login ID and password.
- Set a hint question and register.
- In doing so, the individual will get a mail on the e-mail address provided.
- Activate the account using the link in the email.
- Once the individual signs in to the passport account, he/she needs to click on ‘Apply for Fresh Passport/Re-issue of Passport’.
Filling in the Passport Renewal Application
Next step in the process of applying for passport renewal is filling in the form is on the website. The individual needs to give details like current address, of his/her spouse among other basic details. The individual also needs to give the details of two local references who can be contacted in case police verification is required to be carried out. It required to be remembered that the individual must click ‘validate’ and save the form after he/she enters the city or village. The saved file is needed to be uploaded to the same page where it was downloaded from. Thereafter, the details will automatically be entered in the form. After filling in the form, the individual needs to verify all the details to ensure that there is no mistake in the form.
Booking a Slot to Get Renewed Passport
Next step in the process is scheduling an interview. The individual can do it by clicking on ‘Schedule Appointment’. Next, the applicant needs to select an available slot which is comfortable for him/her. Once confirmed, the appointment at the passport office in scheduled.
Visiting the Passport Office to Renew Passport
After scheduling the appointment, the individual must visit the passport office on the date of appointment. There he/she will be allotted a group number. The number should be mentioned on the form. When your number is called, the applicant needs to visit with the group to the next room and start the application process. Once the process is successfully finished, the validity will be changed on the passport.
Documents Required for Passport Renewal
When an individual applies for the renewal of a passport, there are certain documents that required to be submitted along with the application form. The Passport Seva Kendra website has a ‘Document Advisor’ for renewal of passport. The person needs to select the details for renewing and a list of the required documents will be generated. Some of the required documents needed are as follows:
- Original old Passport
- Self-attested copies of the first two and last two pages of the passport.
- Self-attested copy of the ECR/Non-ECR page.
- Self-attested copy of the page of observation, if any, made by the Passport Issuing Authority.
- Self-attested copy of the validity extension page, if any, with respect to the Short Validity Passport (SVP)
- Proof of documents which eliminate the cause of issuance of Short Validity Passport (SVP).