The Permanent Account Number, particularly known as the PAN card is an important document to carry out the most basic financial transactions, such as opening a bank account or even applying for a credit card. The PAN card is a 10-digit alphanumeric value allotted by the income tax department to an individual, company or Hindu Undivided Family (HUF).
In order to apply for a PAN card, a person had to physically fill up the forms as stated by the income tax department, including form 49A for resident individuals and provide documents for proof of identity, address, and date of birth.
You can apply for PAN online, in the current scenario, but not the entire process.
Things you need to take a note of before you fill form 49A to apply for a PAN card:
- Though while filling the application, you fill your surname before your first name, on the PAN card, your name will appear in the sequence of ‘First name Surname’.
- You can also opt for the paperless e-KYC facility and e-sign where your Aadhaar details can be used. With this, you need not upload your photo, signature or other related documents. If you use the e-KYC and e-sign facility, your Aadhaar photograph will appear on the PAN card.
- Another method is an e-sign facility where you need to upload your photograph, signature (in black ink) and the mentioned documents in the required format.
- You can use the e-Sign or e-KYC methods only when your mobile/email is linked with Aadhaar as you will have to undergo the Aadhaar authentication process.
Steps to apply for PAN through the NSDL website:
- Visit the official website of NSDL: https://www.onlineservices.nsdl.com/paam/endUserRegisterContact.html
- Click on ‘Application Type’ option and choose the application type suitable for you – form 49A for resident individuals and form 49AA for non-resident individuals (NRIs) and foreign nationals
- Click on the category ‘Individual’
- Fill in your correct details in the form, in an exact manner you want it on your PAN card
- Click ‘submit’, a token number will be allotted to you. You will have to click on the link to continue with your PAN Application. Try and take a note of your token number just to keep a record
- A new window will open on your screen, where you will have three options asking you about how you wish to proceed with your application. The three options are (i) Submit digitally through e-KYC and e-sign (Paperless) (ii) Submit scanned images through e-Sign and (iii) Forward application documents physically
- Enter your details, including Aadhaar number, parents’ name, etc. You can either your father’s or your mother’s name printed on the PAN card
- After filling in all the details, click ‘Next’. On the new page that appears to fill in the additional personal details as required
- After filing up all personal details, click on ‘Next’
- Now, you will have to enter your area code, AO (assessing officer) type, range code, and AO number. All this information is available in the window itself
- Once these details are filled, click on ‘Next’
- In the last step, you will have to upload the supporting documents along with your photograph and signature
- According to NSDL helpline, after you have uploaded all your documents you will have to pay a reasonable amount. After making the payment, you will have to undergo the Aadhaar authentication process. An OTP will be sent to the mobile/email linked to your Aadhaar
- If your Aadhaar authentication process gets completed, take a print out of the receipt with the 15 digits unique acknowledgement number, sign it and send it to the office of NSDL
- In case your Aadhaar authentication process is not successful or your mobile number is not linked to Aadhaar, take a print out of acknowledgement receipt, paste your photo and sign the receipt. You will also have to send a photocopy of the documents uploaded by you
- You can send this by post also and it should reach NSDL within 15 days from the date of online application
The turnaround time to process PAN application is 15-20 days.