ITDC came into launched in October 1966 and has been the prime mover in the progressive development, promotion, and expansion of tourism in the country. Widely, the main objectives of the Corporation are:
- To build, take over and manage existing hotels and market hotels, Beach Resorts, Travellers’ Lodges/Restaurants;
- To give transport, entertainment, shopping, and conventional services;
- To provide, distribute, tourist publicity material;
- To change consultancy-cum-managerial services in India and abroad;
- To carry on the business as Full-Fledged Money Changers (FFMC), restricted money changers etc;
- To provide innovating, dependable and value for money solutions to the needs of tourism development and engineering industry including providing consultancy and project implementation.
The authorized capital of the Corporation is Rs 75 crores and the paid up capital as on 31.3.2005 was Rs 67.52 crores. 89.9748% of the paid up equity capital of the Corporation is stated in the name of President of India.
The Corporation is running hotels, restaurants at several places for tourists, besides providing transport facilities. Additionally, the Corporation is engaged in the production, distribution, and sale of tourist publicity literature and granting entertainment and duty-free shopping facilities to the tourists. The Corporation has diversified into new avenues/innovative services like Full-Fledged Money Changer (FFMC) services, engineering related consultancy services etc. The Ashok Institute of Hospitality & Tourism Management of the Corporation imparts training and education in the area of tourism and hospitality.
Currently, ITDC has a network of eight Ashok Group of Hotels, six Joint Venture Hotels, 2 Restaurants (covering one Airport Restaurant), 12 Transport Units, one Tourist Service Station, 37 Duty-Free Shops at International as well as Domestic Customs Airports, one Tax-Free outlet and two Sound & Light Shows. Besides, ITDC is also managing a hotel at Bharatpur and a restaurant at Kosi on behalf of the Department of Tourism. In addition, it is also managing catering jobs at Western Court, Vigyan Bhawan, Hyderabad House, and National Media Press Centre at Shastri Bhawan, New Delhi.