The Indian Institute of Foreign Trade (IIFT) is an autonomous public business school set up in 1963 by the Government of India (Ministry of Commerce and Industry) to help professionalize the country’s foreign trade management and increase exports by developing human resources; generating, calculating and disseminating data; and conducting research. Its flagship project is the Master of Business Administration in International Business (MBA-IB).
IIFT was awarded the status of Deemed University in 2002. It organizes an autonomous entrance examination across various centers in India.
IIFT’s portfolio of long-term projects is as follows:
- Two-Year Residential MBA (International Business) – New Delhi, Kolkata, and Dar-es-Salaam (Tanzania). This is the flagship course, giving major subjects and electives in Marketing, Finance, Systems, Operations, and Trade.
- Ph.D. Course (full-time and part-time)- at the New Delhi and Kolkata Campus.
- Three-Year Part-Time MBA (International Business) – New Delhi & Kolkata
- Executive Master’s in International Business – New Delhi, Dubai, and Dar-es-Salaam
- Certificate Course in Export Management, New Delhi, Kolkata, Guwahati (Assam)
- Post Graduate Diploma in International Business Strategy through NIIT Imperia
IIFT has, over the years, the responsibility of research studies with organizations like World Trade Organisation, World Bank, the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) and the Ministry of Commerce & Industry. IIFT has also trained more than 40,000 business professionals all over 30 countries via its management development programmes.
Selection in IIFT is a four-pronged process:
- The entrance test is a paper-based test which occurs in November
- A short-list based on the test scores is utilized to invite students to the Group Discussion round. Topics of national and international importance across social, political, economic and corporate domains are common as individuals are tested on their group discussion skills.
- A Writing Ability Test is organized to test the candidate’s writing skills, along with knowledge of the subject and structure of representation.
- The Personal Interview has a distinct objective on goals, achievements, knowledge, and awareness.
A cumulative weighted score depending on the guidelines of that particular year of examination is taken to identify the final short-list of candidates for offer letters.
International Collaborations & Student Exchange Programmes
IIFT Exchange Programme is a result of the institute’s academic collaboration with institutions across the world. These collaborations are majorly for the student, faculty exchange programmes, joint collaborations on research and various other capacity building exercises. IIFT has developed relations with many international organizations by signing MoUs and participating in their works or taking collaborative initiatives. The Institute is a member of the following International organizations:
- Academy of International Business (AIB)
- Association of Management Development Institutes in South Asia (AMDISA)
- International Association of Trade Training Organization (IATTO)
- The Association of Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB)
- The European Foundation for Management Development (EFMD)
Port Visit and Social Awareness Program
IIFT also provides its students the opportunity to visit various national and international ports. Students can elect their port of choice and are accompanied by faculty members during the visit.
The institute also has a month-long social awareness program, in which various NGOs such as Muskaan Foundation are invited to the campus to pitch their projects to the students. The students are then permitted to choose any NGO of choice and have to work closely with the NGO for the next month. The SAP is an organ of the course curriculum, and IIFT is one of the few institutions who has undertaken similar social programs.