- The foundation stone of Indira Gandhi Rashtriya Uran Akademi, formally called IGRUA, was laid by the then Hon’ble Prime Minister of India, Late Capt Rajiv Gandhi on 07 November 1985.
- The Akademi operates under the Ministry of Civil Aviation (MoCA), Govt. of India (GOI) through its Governing Council (GC). Indira Gandhi Rashtriya Uran Akademi (IGRUA) situated at Fursatganj District Amethi in Uttar Pradesh, is an autonomous body under the control of the Ministry of Civil Aviation. The Governing Council is the supreme body of the organization guided by the Secretary, Ministry of Civil Aviation.
- The Akademi is guided by a Director who is assisted by Departmental heads of Operations, Services, Finance, and HR.
- The foreign nationals from Afghanistan, Royal Nepal Airlines, Mauritius, Zambia, and Seychelles have also undergone Pilot Training at IGRUA.
- The Refresher courses for all Chief Flying Instructors /Pilot Instructor Incharge of flying clubs are organized regularly.
- The Pilot training to candidates of Indian Airlines, BSF, Coast Guard candidates, Indian Air Force, and Indian Navy is also granted by IGRUA as and when required.
- Over 150 students are undergoing training at current and we are continuously making efforts to increase seats every year.
- IGRUA remains an epitome of standardization and excellence in flying training thus becoming the pioneer choice for airlines when they select pilots for their company.
- IGRUA is becoming a knowledge and skill development hub of civil aviation. National Aviation University along with its Hostel and Staff quarters is under construction at IGRUA complex.
- IGRUA AME school tower is ready and the school will start functioning very soon.
- IGRUA provides on-the-job training to candidates undergoing AME in several Indian private institutes.
To secure a wider spectrum of talented students across the country, a stringent selection process is followed which covers:
- A Written Entrance Examination at various centers all over India
- Pilot Aptitude Test,
- the interview by an interview board
consisting of representatives from industry bigwigs like NACIL, DGCA, Psychologist and IGRUA examiners. The selection of candidates for Ab-initio (PPL) to CPL Course is done as per merit compiled after Written Test, Pilot Aptitude Test, and the Interview.
The institution conducts flying training leading to the conferred of commercial pilot license (CPL).IGRUA also offers ancillary courses such as Multi Crew Coordination( MCC) and crew resource management (CRM). IGRUA is also one of the approved institutes to carry out Certified Flying Instructors Refresher (CFI Refresher) Course by MOCA, Govt of India.