The Rajasthan government, through its ‘Joyful Saturday’ program, aims to make an environment to learn without burden for the students of Class I to XII of government schools. The program is part of the Samgra Shiksha Abhiyan (SMSA).
The aim of the scheme is to cultivate values in the students and enhance their creativity by organizing activities like debate, poetry recitation, story writing, acting in play and recitation of stories relating to lives of great people.
Key features of the program
- The program has been commenced by Samgra Shiksha Abhiyan (SMSA) in order to develop values and to hone creativity in the students
- ‘Joyful Saturday’ is to be conducted after recess on the second and fourth Saturdays of every month.
- The goal of the program is to teach mathematics, language, and environment in a playful manner.
- The program support to inculcate the values to respects other’s view and feeling. It further helps in improving the decision making the ability of students.
- Under this activity, various Co-Curricular activities are conducted to develop values like physical, psychological, Ethical, academic, civic, social, aesthetic, cultural recreational and disciplinary values.
- A provision of Rs 1,000 per school has been made to schools for the buy of items needed to organize the co-curricular activities.
- Co-Curricular activities organized under Joyful Saturday programme
- The program will comprise of activities to improve communication skills, creativity, critical, and logical thinking for the students of Class 1 to Class 12.
- Students will be bifurcated into three batches from class 1 to 5, 6 to 8 and 9 to 12 and activities will be segregated to suit all ages and abilities.
- The several Co-curricular activities conducted under the Joyful Saturday include debate, poetry recitation, storytelling, puzzle solving, display of scientific magic tricks, toy making, arts and crafts, communicating with police, doctors, nurses, bank staffers, plantation works, road safety, child rights’ club activities, display of motivational videos, gender-based videos (good touch, bad touch), games,etc.
- Under this activity there are division of activities into Indoor and Outdoor Co-curricular activities which includes Dramatics, Mass parade Music and dance, Mass drill, Drawing and painting, Yoga, Decoration, Athletics, Weaving, Bicycling, Clay modelling, Gardening, First Aid, Cricket, Tailoring, Football, Rangoli, Basketball, Bookbinding, Volleyball, Cardboard work, Kabaddi.
It’s the best effort by the Rajasthan education department to implement programs like Joyful Saturday that are educative, innovative and one which caters to the overall socio-moral developmental needs of the students. by this initiative, students are taught life skills in addition to the regular subjects and thereby preparing them for the future to withstand all sought of pressure and thereby advance as an impeccable human being inculcating values of respect and truthfulness.