Ministry of Communications and Information Technology facilitates, heads and implements the Government of Samoa’s vision for Communications development.
The Ministry is undergoing some powerful developments. Policy survey is dynamic, as communication technology around the world develops at great speed. The Policy Development and Formulation Division strives to give advice to the Minister and Government that is valid and in line with the fast pace of change in telecommunications, broadcasting, postal and ICT. The ICT Secretariat implements exciting ICT4 development projects and particularly focuses on ensuring the digital divide is kept to a lowest.
National Broadcaster, National Radio 2AP’s ultimate responsibility is informing the nation when natural or any national disaster strikes, while at the same time giving a vast range of community services programs, both from the Government and the private sector communities.
Department of Telecommunications
Also called as the Door Sanchar Vibhag, this department concerns itself with policy, licensing and coordination issue relating to telegraphs, telephones, wireless, data, facsimile and telematic services and other like forms of communications. It also seeks into the administration of laws with respect to any of the matters specified, namely:
- The Indian Telegraph Act, 1885 (13 of 1885)
- The Indian Wireless Telegraphy Act, 1940 (17 of 1933)
- The Telecom Regulatory Authority of India Act, 1997 (24 of 1997)
- Public sector units
- Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited
- Indian Telephone Industries Limited
- Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited
- Telecommunications Consultants India Limited
- R&D unit
- Centre for Development of Telematics
- Other units
- Wireless Planning and Coordination Wing
- Telecom Engineering Center
- The controller of Communication Accounts
- Telecom Enforcement Resource and Monitoring (TERM) cells, officially known as Vigilance & Telecom Monitoring (VTM) cells
- A requirement was felt in the year 2007 to distinctly address the issues of Communication Network Security at DOT (HQ) level, consequent to the enhancement of FDI limit in Telecom sector from 49% to 74% and therefore a new wing, named Security was created in DOT (HQ).
- e-Government: Giving e-infrastructure for delivery of e-services
- e-Industry: Encouraging electronics hardware manufacturing and IT-ITeS industry
- e-Innovation / R&D: Implementation of R&D Framework – Enabling making of Innovation/ R&D Infrastructure in emerging areas of ICT&E/Establishment of a mechanism for R&D translation
- e-Learning: Giving support for the development of e-Skills and Knowledge network
- e-Security: Securing India’s cyberspace
- e-Inclusion: Encouraging the use of ICT for more inclusive growth
- Internet Governance: Achieving India’s role in Global Platforms of Internet Governance.
- Telephone Advisory Committees
- Telephone Advisory Committees
- MTNL Website list of TAC members
- National Institute of Electronics and Information Technology
- National Institute of Communication Finance
- National Agriculture Education Institute of Research & Resources India
- Department of Posts