The Ministry of Culture is the Indian government ministry responsible with the preservation and promotion of art and culture. Mahesh Sharma is the present Minister of Culture. Recently the government has established the National Mission on Libraries India under this ministry.
The importance of the Ministry of Culture revolves around the functions like preservation and conservation of our cultural heritage and promotion of all forms of art and culture, both tangible and intangible. The Ministry’s job is to develop and sustain ways and means by which the creative and aesthetic sensibilities of the people remain active and dynamic.
The functional spectrum of this Ministry is vast, ranging from generating cultural awareness at the grassroots level to promoting cultural exchanges at the international level. In order to gain these objectives, the Ministry undertakes different activities that flow from subjects allocated under the Govt. of India’s Allocation of Business Rules.
The mission of the department is to preserve, promote and disseminate all forms of art and culture. In order to get this, the department undertakes the following activities:
- Maintenance and conservation of heritage, historic sites, and ancient monuments
- Administration of libraries
- Encouragement of literary, visual and performing arts
- Observation of centenaries and anniversaries of important national personalities and events
- Encouragement of institutions and organizations of Buddhist and Tibetan studies
- Encouragement of institutional and individual non-official initiatives in the fields of art and culture
- Entering into cultural agreements with foreign countries.
- The functional spectrum of the Department ranges from making cultural awareness from the grass root level to the international cultural exchange level.