The Ministry of Earth Sciences was set up in the year 2006 from a merger of the India Meteorological Department (IMD), the National Centre for Medium Range Weather Forecasting (NCMRWF), the Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM), Pune, and Earth Risk Evaluation Centre (EREC), and the Ministry of Ocean Development.
Currently, the ministry is led by Dr. Harsh Vardhan.
To grow as knowledge and technology enterprise in the earth system science realm towards the socio-economic benefit of the society.
To organize scientific and technical activities related to Earth System Science for improving forecasting of weather, monsoon, climate and hazards, exploration of polar regions, seas around India and develop technology for exploration and exploitation of ocean resources (living and non-living), ensuring their sustainable utilization.
- The augment and sustain long-term observations of atmosphere, ocean, cryosphere and solid earth to record the major signs of Earth System and changes.
- To develop forecasting capability of atmospheric and oceanic phenomena by dynamical models and assimilation techniques and to
- Construct a prediction system for weather climate and hazards.
- To establish interaction between components of Earth Systems and human systems at various spatial and temporal scales.
- Exploration of polar and high seas areas for the discovery of new phenomenon and resources.
- To convert knowledge and insight themes gained into services for societal, environmental and economic