The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) is an organ of the Union Government of the Republic of India. It was taken out of the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology on 19 July 2016. Before it was known as “The Department of Information Technology”, it was renamed to The Department of Electronics and Information Technology in 2012. On 19 July 2016, DeitY was made into full-fledged ministry, which henceforth is called as the Ministry of Electronics and Technology, bifurcating it from the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology.
Vision: e-Development of India as the engine for transition into a developed nation and an empowered society.
Mission: To establish e-Governance for empowering citizens, promoting the covers and sustainable growth of the Electronics, IT & ITeS industries, improves India’s role in Internet Governance, adopting a multipronged approach that includes the development of human resources, promoting R&D and innovation, enhancing efficiency with digital services and ensuring a secure cyberspace.
- e-Government: Giving e-infrastructure for delivery of e-services
- e-Industry: Promotion of electronics hardware manufacturing and IT-ITeS industry
- e-Innovation / R&D: Implementation of R&D Framework – Enabling making of Innovation/ R&D Infrastructure in emerging areas of ICT&E/Establishment of a mechanism for R&D translation
- e-Learning: Giving support for the development of e-Skills and Knowledge network
- e-Security: Securing India’s cyberspace
- e-Inclusion: Promoting the use of ICT for more inclusive growth
- Internet Governance: Enhancing India’s role in Global Platforms of Internet Governance.
Functions of the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology:
- Policy matters relating to information technology; Electronics; and Internet (all matters other than licensing of Internet Service Provider).
- Encouragement of internet, IT and IT-enabled services.
- Encouragement of Digital Transactions including Digital Payments.
- Assistance to other departments in the Encouragement of E-Governance, E-Commerce, E- Medicine, E-Infrastructure, etc.
- Encouragement of Information Technology education and Information Technology-based education.
- Issues relating to Cyber Laws, administration of the Information Technology Act. 2000 (21 of 2000) and other IT related laws.
- Issues relating to promotion and manufacturing of Semiconductor Devices in the country excluding all matters relating to Semiconductor Complex Limited (SCL), Mohali.
- Interaction in IT related issues with international agencies and bodies e.g. Internet for Business Limited (IFB), Institute for Education in Information Society (IBI) and International Code Council – online (ICC).
- Steps on bridging the Digital Divide: Matters relating to Digital India Corporation (DIC) [earlier Media Lab Asia (MLA)].
- Encouragement of Standardization, Testing, and Quality in IT and standardization of procedure for IT application and Tasks.
- Electronics Export and Computer Software Promotion Council (ESC).
- National Informatics Centre (NIC).
- Process for development of Hardware/Software industry including knowledge-based enterprises, measures for promoting IT exports and competitiveness of the industry.
- All matters relating to personnel under the control of the Ministry.
- Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI).