The Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (Ministry of I&B) is an organ of the Government of India which is the main body for formulation and administration of the rules and regulations and laws relating to information, broadcasting, the press and films in India.
The Ministry is charged for the administration of Prasar Bharati-the broadcasting arm of the Indian Government. The Central Board of Film Certification is the other mandatory functionary under this ministry is responsible for the regulation of motion pictures broadcast in India.
- The mandate of the Ministry of Information & Broadcasting is:
- News Services by All India Radio (AIR) and Doordarshan (DD) for the people 6+
- Enhancement of broadcasting and television.
- Import and export of films.
- Development and promotion of the film industry.
- The organization of film festivals and cultural exchanges for the course.
- Directorate of Advertising and visual publicity DAVP
- Controlling press relations to present the policies of the Government of India and to get feedback on the Government policies.
- Administration of the Press and Registration of Books Act, 1867 in respect of newspapers.
- Dissemination of information about India within and outside the country by publications on matters of national importance.
- Research, Reference, and Training to assist the media units of the Ministry to meet their responsibilities.
- The utilization of interpersonal communication and traditional folk art forms for information/ publicity campaigns on public interest issues.
- International co-operation in the field of information & mass media.