The Ministry of Minority Affairs was carved out of Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment and created on 29th January 2006 to justifying a more focused approach towards issues relating to the notified minority communities namely Muslim, Christian, Buddhist, Sikhs, Parsis, and Jain. The importance of the Ministry includes the formulation of overall policy and planning, coordination, evaluation and review of the regulatory framework and development programmes for the benefit of the minority communities.
Shri Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi has taken the office as a Union Minister for Minority Affairs on Monday, 4 September 2017 in New Delhi.
Dr. Virendra Kumar has taken the office as a Minister of State for Minority Affairs on Monday, 4 September 2017 in New Delhi.
Empowering the minority communities and making an enabling environment for strengthening the multi-racial, multi-ethnic, multi-cultural, multi-lingual and multi-religious character of our nation.
To enhance the socio-economic conditions of the minority communities through affirmative action and inclusive development so that every citizen has equal opportunity to participate actively in building a vibrant nation. To help an equitable share for minority communities in education, employment, economic activities and to ensure their upliftment.
Schemes for Welfare of Minorities :
- Scholarship Schemes
- Maulana Azad National Fellowship (MANF)
- Padho Pardesh – Scheme of Interest Subsidy on Educational Loans for Overseas Studies for the Students Belonging to the Minority Communities
- Free Coaching and Allied Scheme
- Nai Udaan – Support for Students for preparation of Main Examination who clear Prelims conducted by UPSC/SSC, State Public Service Commission (PSC) etc.
- Skill Development
- Seekho Aur Kamao (Learn & Earn)
- USTAD (Upgrading the Skills and Training in Traditional Arts/ Crafts for Development)
- Nai Manzil
- Concessional credit by National Minorities Development and Finance Corporation (NMDFC)
- Pradhan Mantri Jan Vikas Karyakram (PMJVK)
- Nai Roshni – The Leadership Development of Minority Women
- Hamari Dharohar
- Jiyo Parsi – Scheme for Containing Population Decline of Parsis in India
- Waqf Management
- Qaumi Waqf Board Taraqqiati Scheme ( Scheme of Computerization of Records and Strengthening of State Waqf Boards)
- Shahari Waqf Sampatti Vikas Yojana ( Scheme for Grants-in-Aid to Waqf – Development of Urban Waqf Properties)
- Research/ Studies, Monitoring, and Evaluation of Development Scheme Including Publicity
Support to Institutions
- Corpus Fund to Maulana Azad Education Foundation (MAEF)
- Equity to National Minorities Development and Finance Corporation (NMDFC)
- Grant in Aid Scheme to State Channelising Agencies of National Minorities Development & Finance Corporation