The Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas (MOP&NG) is a ministry of the Government of India. It is responsible for the exploration, production, refining, distribution, marketing, import, export, and conservation of petroleum, natural gas, petroleum products, and liquefied natural gas in India.
The ministry is led by the Cabinet Minister Dharmendra Pradhan. K D Tripathi, IAS is the Secretary of the Ministry.
Important areas of work allocated to the Ministry:
- Exploration and exploitation of petroleum resources, covering natural gas.
- Production, supply distribution, marketing and pricing of petroleum covering natural gas and petroleum products.
- Oil refineries, covering Lube plants.
- Additives for petroleum and petroleum goods.
- Lube blending and greases.
- Planning, development, and control of, and helping all industries dealt with by the Ministry.
- All attached or subordinate offices or other organizations related to any of the subject specified in this list.
- Planning, development, and regulation of oilfield services
- Public sector projects failing under the subjects covered in this list, Engineers India limited and IBP Company. Together with its subsidiaries, except such projects as are specifically allotted to any other Ministry/Dept
- Petroleum Act, 1934 (30-1934) and the rules made thereunder.
- The Oilfields (Regulation and Development) Act 1948 (53 of 1948).
- The Petroleum Pipelines (Acquisition of Right of User in the land) Act, 1962 (50 of 1962).
- Kerosene (Restriction on use and fixation of price) Order, 1993.
- Kerosene (Fixation of Ceiling prices) Order, 1970.
- Paraffin Wax (supply, Distribution and Price Fixation) Order, 1972.
- Light Diesel Oil (Fixation of Ceiling Price) Order, 1973
- The ESSO (Acquisition of Undertaking in India) Act, 1974 (4 of 1974)
- The Oil Industry (Development) Act, 1974 (47 of 1974) and Rules 1975.
- Furnace Oil (Fixation of Ceiling Price and Distribution) Order, 1974.
- The Burmah-Shell (Acquisition of Undertaking in India) Act, 1976 (2 of 1976).
- The Caltex Acquisition of shares of Caltex Oil Refining (India) Limited and of the Undertakings in India Caltex (India) Limited Act, 1977 (17 of 1977).
- Domestic Gas Pvt, Limited and parcel Investment private Limited takeover of Management Act, 1979.
- Kosan Gas Acquisition Act. 1979.
- Lubricating Oils & Greases (Processing, Supply, and Distribution) Regulation Order 1987.
- Liquefied Petroleum Gas (Regulation of supply and Distribution) Order, 1993.
- Motor Spirit and High-Speed Diesel (Prevention of Malpractices in Supply and Distribution) Order, 1990.
- Keshav Dev Malviya
- Ram Naik – 1999-2004
- Mani Shankar Aiyar – 2004-2006
- Murli Deora – 2006-18 Jan 2011
- Jaipal Reddy – 19 Jan 2011 – 28 Oct 2012
- M. Veerappa Moily – 28 Oct 2012 – 17 May 2014
- Dharmendra Pradhan – 3 September 2017 – Till date