ONGC was set up under the visionary guidance of Pandit Jawahar Lal Nehru. Pandit Nehru reposed faith in Shri Keshav Dev Malviya who laid the foundation of ONGC in the form of Oil and Gas division, under Geological Survey of India, in 1955. A few months later, it was changed into an Oil and Natural Gas Directorate. The Directorate was altered into Commission and christened Oil & Natural Gas Commission on 14th August 1956.
“Not only had India. Established her own machinery for oil exploration and exploitation… an efficient oil commission had been built where a large number of bright young men and women had been trained and they were doing good work” said Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, India’s first Prime Minister to Lord Mountbatten, on ONGC in 1959.
In 1994, Oil and Natural Gas Commission was altered into a Corporation, and in 1997 it was recognized as one of the Navratnas by the Government of India. As a result, it has been conferred with Maharatna status in the year 2010.
In its 60 years of illustrious journey, ONGC has crossed many a challenge to realize the energy aspirations of India. The path of ONGC, over these years, has been a tale of conviction, courage, and commitment. ONGCs’ superlative efforts have resulted in altering earlier frontier areas into new hydrocarbon provinces. From a modest beginning, ONGC has grown to be one of the biggest E&P companies in the world in terms of reserves and production.
ONGC as an integrated Oil & Gas Corporate has developed in-house capability in all regions of exploration and production business i.e., Acquisition, Processing & Interpretation (API) of Seismic data, drilling, work-over and well stimulation operations, engineering & construction, production, processing, refining, transportation, marketing, applied R&D and training, etc.
- To be a global leader in integrated energy business by sustainable growth, knowledge excellence, and exemplary governance practices.
- Dedicated to excellence by leveraging competitive benefits in R&D and technology with involved people.
- Imbibe great standards of business ethics and organizational values.
- Abiding commitment to safety, health, and environment to enhance the quality of community life.
- Foster a culture of trust, openness and mutual objective to make working a stimulating and challenging experience for our people.
- Strive for customer delight with quality products and services.
- Focus on domestic and international oil and gas exploration and production business opportunities.
- GIve value linkages in other sectors of the energy business.
- Make growth opportunities and maximize shareholder value.
- Retain dominant position in Indian petroleum sector and Promote India’s energy availability.