DigiLocker is one of many programmes by Government of India in furthering the Digital India initiatives. Primarily a DigiLocker is a digital repository which helps you store important documents (like Aadhaar, mark sheets CBSE, ICSE, ISC, Driving License, Registration certificate, gas connection copy etc) from 36 different issuers in a cloud-based application for safe and easy accessibility and shareability. It assists in issuance, verification of documents and certificates digitally. After you open an account, DigiLocker will keep your documents safe after the needed verification based on Aadhaar OTP. By Digilocker you can access your saved documents anytime from anywhere, share documents digitally to institutions /requestors for verification and also digitally sign the documents ( self-attestation).
How To Open A DigiLocker
- An account can be opened by accessing DigiLocker.gov.in website or by the Android app store. Work for an iOS app is under construction as well. You required to have a mobile phone handy to register yourself as all the related OTPs for verification process will be sent to your mobile number.
- A big advantage of having a DigiLocker is that it ensures safety for a customer by sharing documents from issuer to requester only after a proper consent and some of the documents like Aadhaar, Driver’s License, Gas connection subscription records can be pulled from source.
- Issuers like ministries, government departments, and business/ private entities provide your identity to the database /records and directly grant documents after verification ( without any human intervention). Requesters, mostly banks, FI’s, companies and government can raise a request to receive documents from your digital vault with your permission to provide you instant services or products which are dependent on KYC and other proofs.
- Once you opened a DigiLocker account, you can see the full list of 36 issuers and 15 requesters (presently) by clicking on the respective heads.
Benefits of DigiLocker
- The most important advantage of the DigiLocker is that it can be accessed round the clock from anywhere in the world while ensuring the safety of the document. The copies of original documents and certificates can now be safeguarded digitally and some of the certificates like a Driving License, Registration Certificate, mark sheets need not be copied and kept physically because whenever you need them, the signed copies can be retrieved from source making them authentic and verified records copies of the certificates.
- It would also make the steps of verification easier and simple. For instance, your CBSE migration certificates and mark sheets can be directly issued in your DigiLocker if you have attended a CBSE school. These documents given directly by an issuing authority don’t need further verification when you share them.
- Another fantastic feature of DigiLocker is Aadhaar based e-Signature. The steps of self-attestation have taken a digital shape with e-signatures getting a legal status. Aadhaar-based e-Signature via DigiLockers is free and you can self-attest them electronically when you share them.
- DigiLocker helps users to store and share caste certificates, educational certificates, driving licenses and Aadhaar. However, storage of income tax returns, indirect tax challans, TDS records, and bank transactions may be needed in the coming days.
- This would fasten the move towards a paperless economy which eases to all, be it the government or individuals or businesses. However, DigiLocker facility is only available to Indian residents and not available for the NRIs as of now.