Jeevan Pramaan is a biometric-enabled digital service for pensioners. The benefit is taken of this facility by Pensioners of Central Government, State Government or any other Government organization.
More than One Crore families in India can be claimed as pensioner families, where the pension given by the various government bodies forms the basis for their income and sustainability. In addition to this Army and Defense Personnel, drawing pension exceeds Twenty-five lakhs. There are about Fifty Lakh pensioners of the Central Government and a similar number of the various State and UT Governments and various other government agencies. This includes pensioners from the different public sector enterprises.
One of the major requirements for the pensioners post their retirement from service, is to provide life certificates to the authorized pension disbursing agencies like Banks, Post offices etc., following which their pension is credited to their account. In order to get this life certificate the individual drawing the pension is required to either personally present oneself before the Pension Disbursing Agency or have the Life Certificate issued by authority where they have served earlier and have it delivered to the disbursing agency.
- This very requirement of personally being present in front of the disbursing agency or getting a life certificate often becomes a major hurdle in the process of the seamless transfer of pension amount to the pensioner.
- It has been noted that it causes a lot of hardship and unnecessary inconvenience particularly for the aged and infirm pensioners who cannot always be in a position to present them in front of the particular authority to secure their life certificate.
- In addition to this, a lot of governments employees post their retirement choose to move to a different location either to be with their family or other reasons, hence causing a huge logistical issue when it comes to accessing their rightful pension amount.
- Digital Life Certificate for Pensioners Scheme of the Government of India known as Jeevan Pramaan seeks to address this very problem by digitizing the whole process of securing the life certificate.
- It aims to streamline the process of getting this certificate and making it hassle-free and much easier for the pensioners.
- With this initiative, the pensioner’s requirement to physically present him/ her in front of the disbursing agency or the certification authority will become a thing of the past benefiting the pensioners in a huge way and cutting down on unnecessary logistical hurdles.
Responsibilities of Disbursing Authority
- Disbursing Agency on board on the system has to download DLC from the portal on regular basis. Downloaded DLCs are to be processed in a timely manner.
- Disbursing Agency may have to send status related DLCs via SMS to the pensioners.
- The sanctioning authorities and Disbursing Agencies have to follow the Aadhaar Act, 2016.
- The DLC data cannot be shared with any Agency other than the pensioners’ Sanctioning and Disbursing Agency (as specified in the consent taken).
- The Digital Life certificate is an add-on facility to the existing way of submission of Life Certificate.
- The government may review the above guidelines from time to time to address any emerging needs/ requirements.