The National Institution for Transforming India, also known NITI Aayog, was formed from a resolution of the Union Cabinet on January 1, 2015. NITI Aayog is the classic policy ‘Think Tank’ of the Government of India, providing both directional and policy inputs. While planning strategic and long-term policies and programmes for the Government of India, NITI Aayog also provides relevant technical advice to the Centre and States.
The Government of India, in keeping with its reform policy, formed the NITI Aayog to replace the Planning Commission established in 1950. To better serve the needs and aspirations of the people of India in order this was done. A vital evolutionary change from the past, NITI Aayog acts as the important platform of the Government of India to bring States to act together in national interest, and thereby fosters Cooperative Federalism.
At the core of inner working Mayor’s creation are two hubs – Team India Hub and the Knowledge and Innovation Hub. The Team India Hub guide the engagement of states with the Central government, while the Knowledge and Innovation Hub constructs NITI’s think-tank capabilities. The two key tasks of the Aayog is the reflection of the hub.
NITI Aayog is also developing itself as a State of the Art Resource Centre, with the necessary resources, knowledge, and skills, that will enable it to act with speed, promote research and innovation, provide strategic policy vision for the government, and deal with contingent issues.
The NGO-Partnership System (NGO-PS) Portal (NGO-DARPAN) was earlier maintained by erstwhile Planning Commission, which has been replaced by the NITI Aayog w.e.f. 1st January 2015. The Portal, therefore, is being maintained at present under the guidance of NITI Aayog. NITI Aayog calls all Voluntary Organizations (VOs)/ Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) to Sign Up on the Portal.
VOs/NGOs play a vital role in the development of the nation by supplementing the efforts of the Government. This portal allows VOs/NGOs to enrol centrally and thus facilitates the creation of information about VOs/NGOs, Sector/State wise. The Portal helps VOs/NGOs to get a system generated Unique ID, as and when signed. The Unique ID is very important to apply for grants under various schemes of Ministries/Departments/
The NITI Aayog will work towards the following objectives:
- To bring a shared vision of national development priorities, sectors, and strategies with the active involvement of States in the light of national objectives
- To stir up cooperative federalism by structured support initiatives and mechanisms with the States on a continuous basis, recognizing that strong States make a strong nation
- To make such type of mechanisms which can formulate credible plans at the village level and aggregate these progressively at higher levels of government
- To confirm, areas that are specifically referred to it, that the interests of national security are incorporated in economic strategy and policy
- To pay special attention to the sections of our society that may be at risk of not benefitting firmly from economic progress
- To design strategic and long-term policy and programme frameworks and initiatives and monitor their progress and their efficiency. The lessons learned through analyzing and feedback will be used for making innovative improvements, including necessary mid-course corrections
- To help with advice and encourage partnerships between key stakeholders and national and international like-minded Think Tanks, as well as educational and policy research institutions
- To generate a knowledge, innovation and entrepreneurial support system through a collaborative community of national and international experts, practitioners and other partners