FSSAI is an organization that monitors and governs Laying down science-based standards for articles of food and to regulate their manufacture, storage, distribution, sale, and import to ensure availability of safe and wholesome food for human consumption. FSSAI STANDS FOR Food Safety and Standards Authority of India.
FSSAI issues three different types of FSSAI food license which are GIVEN BELOW:
- Central License
- State License
- Basic Registration
The three licenses, however, differ on the basis of the scale of operation of the food business which is being carried out. The following is the detailed information on the three food licenses.
- FSSAI Registration Central License: Food business operators such as the Importers, 100% Export Oriented Units, large manufacturers, operators in the Central Government agencies, airports, seaports etc are however required to obtain a Central Food License. The Central license is issued by the Central Government. Furthermore, FBOs have to obtain the Central License for their head office, and if they have operations in more than 1 state. It is thus mostly for the units who are having an annual turnover which is greater than 20 crores. The maximum tenure of this license is 5 years and the minimum is 1 year.
- FSSAI Registration State License: Food business operators like small to medium-sized manufacturers, storage units, transporters, retailers, marketers, distributors etc. are however required to obtain the Fssai State License. The State License is issued by the State Government and it is important that you have operations in only 1 state like Delhi, in order to obtain the State FSSAI License in Delhi. It is thus mostly for the units having an annual turnover of more than 12 lakh. The maximum tenure of this license is 5 years and the minimum is 1 year.
- FSSAI Registration: The Food business operators like petty food manufacturers and also the small-sized manufacturers, storage units, transporters, retailers, marketers, distributors etc are thus required to obtain the FSSAI Registration. The FSSAI Registration is however issued by the State Government. Depending upon the eligibility, an FBO can thus fall under the State or Registration license. It is thus mostly for the units having an annual turnover which is up to 12 lakh. The maximum tenure of this license is 5 years and the minimum is 1 year.
Common documents required for obtaining FSSAI registration
- Form B – completed and signed
- Photo Identity of FBO
- Proof of possession of premises (eg. Rental Agreement )
- Partnership Deed / Certificate of Incorporation / Articles of Association etc
- List of food products to be dealt with
- Food safety management system plan
Procedure for Obtaining FSSAI Registration
- FSSAI registration is initiated by submitting Form A (application) to food and safety department.
- This application can be accepted or it may be rejected by the Department within 7 days from the application date and the fact has to be intimated to the applicant in writing
- If the application is accepted, then the department will grant a registration certificate with the registration number and the photo of the applicant.
- FBO should prominently display the certificate of registration at the place of business during the business hours.