The Sports Authority of India (SAI), a successor association of the IXth Asian Games held in New Delhi in 1982, was set up as a Society registered of Societies Act, 1860 in pursuance of the Resolution No. 1-1/83/SAI dated 25th January 1984 of the Department of Sports, Govt. of India with the objective of promotion of Sports and Games as detailed in the Resolution.
It is also entrusted with the responsibility of enhancing and utilizing, on the behalf of Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports, the following Stadia in Delhi which were constructed/renovated for the IX Asian Games held in New Delhi in 1982:-
- Jawaharlal Nehru Sports Complex
- Indira Gandhi Sports Complex
- Major Dhyan Chand National Stadium
- Dr. Shyam Prasad Mukherjee Swimming Pool Complex
- Dr. Karni Singh Shooting Ranges
Aims & Objectives of SAI:
- To establish and broad-based sports in the country.
- To implement project/programmes for achieving excellence in sports in different disciplines at the international level in order to establish India as a major sporting power.
- To establish and utilize on behalf of the Govt., stadia which were constructed/renovated for the IXth Asian Games held in 1982.
- To act as an interface among the Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports and other agencies concerned with the promotion/ development of sports in the country, on the other hand, i.e., State Govt., U.T. Administration, IOA, National Sports Federations, Sports Control Boards, Industrial Houses, etc.
- To establish, run, manage and administer the institutions to yield high caliber coaches, sports scientists and physical education teachers.
- To plan, construct, acquire, develop, take over, manage, maintain and utilize sports infrastructure and facilities in the country.
- To take responsibility, undertake, sponsor, stimulate and encourage research projects related to various sports sciences for upgradation of sports, sportspersons, and coaches.
- Other incidental issues concerning promotion, development, and excellence in sports.
Sports Promotional Schemes of SAI:
Apart from this, the following sports promotional schemes are also being implemented by SAI through its Regional Centres for spotting and nurturing talented children by providing them requisite facilities in terms of sports infrastructure, sports equipment, competition exposure, and scientific coaching etc.
- Centres of Excellence Scheme:
- SAI Training Centres (STC) Scheme
- Special Area Games (SAG) Scheme
- National Sports Talent Contest (NSTC) Scheme
- Army Boys Sports Companies (ABSC) Scheme
- Come and Play Scheme
- National Sports Academy [NSA] Scheme