ICAR stands for Indian Council for Agricultural Research. ICAR is an autonomous body dedicated for co-ordinating agricultural education and research in India. The ICAR was set up on 16 July 1929, as the Registered Society under the Societies Registration Act 1860, on the recommendations of the Royal Commission of Agriculture. It was reorganized twice, in 1965 and 1973. Indian Council of Agricultural Research’s headquarters is in New Delhi. The world, in general, is experiencing a few transformative changes. Developing populace, evolving ways of life, growing urbanization and quickened atmosphere changes are making new difficulties for the national farming examination framework.
While before, the test was to supply sufficient nourishment, yet now it is to give satisfactory supplements to advance wellbeing; and later on, the test is to give ideal supplements in view of person’s hereditary profile. Luckily, alongside challenges, the advancements in science are making new roads for handling the difficulties. The Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR) and the National Agricultural Research and Education System everywhere, are resolved to tackle the advances of science for the welfare of society. The Council is resolved to change itself into an association connected completely with the agriculturists, industry, business people and consumers.
To keep pace with the evolving condition, the ICAR has been refreshing its dreams and techniques every once in a while. The principal deliberate push to imagine the difficulties and openings, and detail its own particular technique was embraced in the most recent year of the twentieth century by getting ready ‘Vision 2020 archive’. The following endeavour was following five years by drawing out the ‘Point of view Plan’ and the ‘ICAR Vision 2030’, agreeing with the XI plan. ‘ICAR Vision 2050’, gives the key structure to advancement drove comprehensive and feasible farming development in the nation.
It is a part of the Department of Agricultural Research and Education, Ministry of Agriculture. its president is The Union Minister of Agriculture. All India Entrance Exam for Admission (AIEEA) is an entrance exam into the institution. The Agricultural Scientists Recruitment Board (ASRB) conducts all India competitive examination Agricultural Research Service (ARS), to recruit posts in the ARS of Indian Council of Agricultural Research.
ICAR is the largest network of agricultural research and education institutes in the world. regulation of agricultural education is the mandate of ICAR, Veterinary Council of India (Veterinary sub-discipline) and Indian Council of Forestry Research and Education (Forestry sub-discipline). The UPA government has included Yashpal Committee recommendations in its ‘100 days agenda’ premier institute of agriculture in India.
ICAR institutions are as following:
- 6 Deemed Universities(2 new-NAARM, Hyderabad and NIASM, Malegaon, Maharashtra)
- 64 ICAR Institutions
- 15 National Research Centres
- 6 National Bureaux
- 25 Directorates/Project Directorates(upgraded NRC-12)
Indian Council of Agricultural Research’s headquarters is in New Delhi.
Main features of ICAR:
- The Governing Body is the chief executive and decision-making authority of the ICAR.
- It is headed by the Director-General
- It consists of eminent agricultural scientists, educationists, legislators and representatives of the farmers.
- It is assisted by the Standing Finance Committee, National Agricultural Education Accreditation Board, Regional Committee, Policy and Planning Committee, several Scientific Panels, and Publications Committee.
- The DDGs are responsible for the Institutes, National Research Centres, and the Projects Directorates belonging to their respective fields.
In the scientific matters, the Director-General is assisted by 8 Deputy Directors-General:
- Crop Sciences,
- Natural Resource Management,
- Agricultural Engineering
- Animal Sciences,
- Agricultural Education, and
- Agricultural Extension.