The National Institute of Disaster Management (NIDM) was ambit of an Act of Parliament with a vision to play the role of a premier institute for capacity development in India and the region. The works in this direction that began with the formation of the National Centre for Disaster Management (NCDM) in 1995 gained impetus with its redesignation as the National Institute of Disaster Management (NIDM) for training and capacity development. Under the Disaster Management Act 2005, NIDM has been assigned major responsibilities for human resource development, capacity building, training, research, documentation, and policy advocacy in the field of disaster management.
The Institute has achieved the status of a statutory organization under the National Disaster Management Act 2005. Section 42(8) of the Act has made the Institute responsible for ‘planning and promoting training and research in the area of disaster management, documentation and development of national-level information base relating to disaster management policies, prevention mechanisms, and mitigation measures’.
The following specific functions to the Institute:
- develop training lesson, undertake research and documentation in disaster management and organize training programmes;
- formulate and implement a comprehensive human resource development idea covering all aspects of disaster management;
- Give assistance in national level policy formulation;
- Give required assistance to the training and research institutes for development of training and research programmes for stakeholders including Government functionaries and undertake training of faculty members of the State level training institutes;
- Give help to the State Governments and State training institutes in the formulation of State-level policies, strategies, disaster management framework and any other assistance as may be required by the State Governments or State training institutes for capacity-building of stakeholders, Government including its functionaries, civil society members, corporate sector and people’s elected representatives;
- develop educational materials for disaster management covering academic and professional courses;
- Advertise awareness among stakeholders including college or school teachers and students, technical personnel and others associated with multi-hazard mitigation, preparedness and response measures;
- To take responsibility, organize and facilitate study courses, conferences, lectures, seminars within and outside the country to promote the aforesaid objects;
- undertake and give for publication of journals, research papers and books and establish and maintain libraries in furtherance of the aforesaid objects;
- do all such other lawful things as are conducive or incidental to the attainment of the above goals; and
- to take responsibility for any other function as may be assigned to it by the Central Government.
- To be a major Institute of Excellence for training and research on disaster risk mitigation and management in India and to be recognized as one of the leading Institutions at the International level in the field.
- To do effort relentlessly towards making a disaster-free India by developing and promoting a culture of prevention and preparedness at all levels,
- To work as a think tank for the Government by divining assistance in policy formulation and;
- To facilitate in reducing the impact of disasters by:
- Planning and enhancing training and capacity building services including strategic learning.
- Research, documentation, and development of national-level information base.
- System development and expertise promotion for effective disaster preparedness and mitigation.
- Promoting awareness and increasing knowledge and skills of all stakeholders.
- Strengthening institutional mechanisms for training and capacity building of all stakeholders.
- Networking and facilitating the exchange of information, experience, and expertise.