The National Defence Academy is an iconic institution and hallmark of global excellence in the horizon of military education. The NDA is situated at Khadakwasla near Pune, Maharashtra. It is the first tri-service academy in the world.
NDA alumni have guided and fought in every major conflict in which the Indian Armed Forces has been called to action since the academy was established. The alumni covers 3 Param Vir Chakra recipients and 12 Ashoka Chakra recipients. National Defence Academy has produced 27 service Chiefs Of Staff till date. present Chiefs Of Staff of the Army, the Navy, and the Air Force are all NDA alumni. The NDA campus is situated about 17 km south-west of Pune city, north-west of Khadakwasla Lake. It covers 7,015 acres (28.39 km2) of the 8,022 acres (32.46 km2) donated by the Government of the former Bombay State. The site was taken for being on a lakeshore, the suitability of the neighboring hilly terrain, proximity to the Arabian Sea and other military establishments, an operational air base nearby at Lohegaon as well as the salubrious climate.
Applicants to the NDA are selected via a written exam organized by the UPSC, followed by extensive interviews by the SSB covering general aptitude, psychological testing, team skills as well as physical and social skills, along with medical tests. Incoming classes are accepted twice a year for semesters commencing in July and January. About 4,50,000 applicants sit for each written exam. Typically, about 6,300 of these are invited to interview. Only unmarried male candidates are eligible for NDA & NA Examination. The minimum age should be 16 and half years and maximum age should be 19 and half years. Applicants to join the Air Force also go through a Pilot Aptitude Battery Test. About 320 cadets are accepted to the academy each semester. About 70 cadets are selected for the Air Force, 42 for the Navy and 208 for the Army.
Cadets who are accepted and successfully finish the program are sent to their respective training academies for one year of training before granting of commission: army cadets go to Indian Military Academy(IMA) at Dehradun, Air Force cadets to Air Force Academy(AFA) at Dundigal, Hyderabad, and naval cadets to Indian Naval Academy(INA), Ezhimala, Kerala.
- To give academic training of the highest quality in order to equip cadets with appropriate qualification as a foundation for their service careers.
- To carry out focused training to make cadets to achieve the requisite physical standards, with proficiency in troop games.
- To inculcate in cadets qualities of leadership, a desire for self-improvement and a drive to excel in every area.
- Incorporate culture of jointmanship in training and to promote the spirit of jointmanship in thought, word and deed.
- organize high-quality service training to enable cadets to have a substantial edge over their counterparts during their service careers.
- Hone the communication skills of Cadets to articulate their thoughts coherently, concisely and clearly both in speech and writing.
- Practice on overall personality development of a Cadet by inculcating a sense of self-discipline, honor, integrity, camaraderie, and spirit de corps.
- Strive towards the improvement of infrastructure and networking of the Academy in accordance with the infrastructure development of NDA.
- Enhance and upgrade the quality of life of all personnel in the campus and to foster an environment of spirited and happy team NDA.
- Continue the drive towards conserving and preserving the environment, flora, and fauna to make NDA plastic free, green campus with zero carbon footprints.