The National Institute of Social Defence was set up originally as Central Bureau of Correctional Services in 1961, the ambit of the Ministry of Home Affairs, in pursuance of the recommendations emerging at various National Forums. In 1964, the Bureau was transferred to the then Department of Social Security.
Since 1975 the Institute was a subordinate office guidance of the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment. The National Institute of Social Defence has become an Autonomous Body vide Government of India Notification No. 10-3/2000-SD.Vol.I dated 15th July 2002 and is registered under Societies Act XXI of 1860 with the Government of NCT, Delhi.
The National Institute of Social Defence is the main training and research institute in the field of social defense. Though social defense includes the entire gamut of activities and programmes for the protection of society, this Institute is currently focusing on human resource development in the areas of drug abuse prevention, the welfare of senior citizens, beggary prevention, transgender and other social defense issues.
National Institute of Social Defence is:
- A Central Advisory Body for Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment, Government of India.
- A Centre of Excellence on research and training in the field of social defense
- Coordinates and liaises between the Government and the Non-Government. organizations at the State, National, and International level.
- Develops preventive, curative and rehabilitative tools, programmes and policies in the field of social defense, Undertakes research, training, consultancy, documentation, and publication in the field of social defense.
- Re-revise the policies and programmes in the field of social defense
- anticipate and study social defense problems
- develop preventive, curative and rehabilitative policies in the field of social defense
- Identify and develop the instruments for realizing the objectives of social defense policies
- review and evaluate the implementation of social defense policies and programmes
- develop and promote voluntary efforts in social defense
In order to realize the above objectives, the Institute carries out the following activities:
- research on Social Defence issues;
- compilation and analysis of statistics in the areas of Social Defence
- develops, promotes, sponsors and undertakes training/orientation in the field of Social Defence;
- advises the Central and State Governments/Union Territory Administrations on Social Defence problems and gives technical inputs for preparation of model rules and regulations in the field of Social Defence;
- grants a forum for the exchange of information on Social Defence amongst State/Union Territories and voluntary organizations and thus serves as a clearinghouse for information in the field of Social Defence;
- develop public awareness on Social Defence problems especially in regard to the preventive and rehabilitative role of the community;
- helps the Government of India for the exchange of information on Social Defence with other countries and with the United Nations for their specialized agencies;
- conduct conferences/seminars/ workshops on Social Defence;
- Liaison with universities, research institutes, and voluntary organizations in the horizon of Social Defence; and
- brings out publications in the field of Social Defence, both popular and professional.