National Rural Livelihoods Mission (DAY-NRLM) of the Ministry of Rural Development SVEP aims to support entrepreneurs in rural areas to set up local enterprises the Startup Village Entrepreneurship Program is a sub-component of Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana –
The SVEP shall help the rural poor come out of poverty by helping them set up enterprises and provide support to the enterprises stabilize. The programmatic intervention will address all three missing ecosystems – Knowledge, advisory and finance ecosystems. The long-term vision of the SVEP is to provide support for a start-up to 1 crore village enterprises and provide direct employment to 2 crore people.
In its first step of affirming the concept, SVEP is expected to support creation and strengthening of about 1.82 lakh village enterprises in 125 Blocks across 24 States in the targeted four years i.e. 2015-19. Employment for about 3.78 lakh persons expected to be created.
The key objectives of SVEP are:
- Integrated ICT techniques and tools for training and capacity building, enterprise advisory services and to provide loans from banks/SHG & federations to enable rural poor to set up their enterprises, in its proof of concept phase, by developing a sustainable model for Village Entrepreneurship promotion. These enterprises may be individual or group enterprises and should cover manufacturing, services, and trading.
- Build the capacity of the NRLM and SHG federations to monitor and direct the work of the CRP-EPs and Develop local resources by training a pool of village level community cadre (CRP EP) and
- The banking systems including the proposed MUDRA bank to help the rural entrepreneurs to access finance for starting their enterprises from the NRLM SHG and federations,
- Visits from the CRP-EP are supported by guidance from an advisory panel of experts for the relevant enterprise, handhold the rural entrepreneurs/ enterprises in the initial six months of start-up, with
- Artisanal products and other goods & services to help increase rural incomes, the SVEP would also work with the input and output supply chains for farm produce
Key elements of the programme
- Create a Block Resource Centre – Enterprise Promotion (BRC-EP); The BRC should act as a nodal centre to implement SVEP.
- Cluster Level Federation (CLF) /VOs shall hold the entity till BLF comes into existence. BRC should follow a self-sustaining revenue model.
- BRC to be assisted by CRP-EP and the Bank Coordination System (Bank Mitra). BRC to provide resource and reference material including videos, manuals etc.
- Help enterprises get bank finance using tablet-based software for making the business feasibility plan, doing credit appraisal and tracking business performance.
- Use the Community Investment Fund (CIF) to provide seed capital for starting the business till it reaches a size where bank finance is needed.
- SVEP implementation at the block level to consist of the following sets of processes:
- New Enterprise Development
- Support for existing enterprises
- Block level activities
- Other project activities