National Safai Karamcharis Finance & Development Corporation(NSKFDC), A completely owned Govt. of India Undertaking under the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment (M/o SJ&E) was set up on 24th January 1997 as a Company “Not for Profit” under Section 25 of the Companies Act, 1956. NSKFDC is in working since October 1997, as an Apex Corporation for the all-around socio-economic upliftment of the Safai Karamcharis, Scavengers and their dependents throughout India, by various loan and non-loan based schemes.
Apart from operating various loan and non-loan based projects for the upliftment of the target group, NSKFDC is playing a vital role in the elimination of manual scavenging – the worst surviving symbol of untouchability. NSKFDC has been designated as the Nodal Agency for implementation of the Central Sector Self Employment Project for Rehabilitation of Manual Scavengers (SRMS) under the aegis of the Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment.
The major objectives of the Corporation as per the Memorandum and Articles of Association are as under: –
- To promote self-employment ventures for the advantage and/or rehabilitation of Safai Karamcharis /Scavengers and their dependents, either individually or in groups, by way of grants, subsidy, soft loans or advances through the State Channelising Agency designated by the State Government or Union Territory Administration and subject to the directions given by the Government from time to time.
- To provide loans to students from the community of Safai Karamcharis/Scavengers for pursuing a professional or technical education at graduation or higher levels.
- To promote training, quality control, technology up-gradation and common facility centers for carrying out sanitation work.
- To provide the Skill Development Training and entrepreneurial skills of persons belonging to the community of Safai Karamcharis/Scavengers or their dependents for proper and efficient management of production and service units set up by them.
- To help self-employed individuals or group of individuals from the community of Safai Karamcharis/Scavengers including their dependents or units/co-operatives set-up by them in the procurement of raw materials or other inputs and marketing of finished goods or services.
- To work as an apex corporation for coordination and monitoring the work of all Corporations, Boards or Agencies set up by State Governments or Union Territory Administration for assisting Safai Karamcharis/ Scavengers and their dependents for their economic development.
- To assist in strengthening the policies and programmes of the Government for socio-economic development of Safai Karamcharis/Scavengers and their dependents.