The Ministry of Food Processing Industries (MOFPI) is a ministry of the Government of India charged for formulation and administration of the rules and regulations and laws relating to food processing in India. The ministry was established in the year 1988, with a view to develop a strong and vibrant food processing industry, to create increased employment in the rural sector and enable farmers to reap the benefits of modern technology and to create a surplus for exports and stimulating demand for processed food. The ministry is presently headed by Harsimrat Kaur Badal, a Cabinet Minister.
Goals of ministry:
A strong and dynamic food processing sector plays a important role in reduction in the wastage of perishable agricultural produce, enhancing shelf life of food products,ensuring value addition to agricultural generation, diversification &commercialization of agriculture, generation of employment, enhancing the income of farmers and creating surplus for the export of agro & processed foods. In the duration of economic liberalization, all segments including; private, public and co-operative sectors have defined roles to play and the Ministry promotes their active participation.
The main role of ministry:
- The Ministry of Food Processing Industries has a transparent goal of attaining these objectives by facilitating and acting as a catalyst to attract quality investments from within India and abroad into this sector with the focus of making food processing a national initiative. With this overall objective, the Ministry aims to:
- Improve farmer’s income by better utilization and value addition of agricultural produce
- Decrease in wastage at all stages in the food processing chain by the development of infrastructure for storage, transportation, and processing of agro-food produce;
- Launch of modern technology into the food processing industries from both domestic and external sources;
- Promote R&D in food processing for product and process development and improved packaging;
- Grant policy support and support for the creation of Infrastructure, capacity expansion/ Upgradation, and other supportive measures form the growth of this sectors;
- Enhance the export of processed food products.
The subjects looked after by the Ministry are:
- Fruits and vegetable processing industry
- Food grain milling industry like SOEI FOODS
- Dairy products
- Processing of poultry and eggs, meat and meat products
- Fish processing
- Bread, oilseeds, meals (edible), breakfast foods, malt extract, protein isolate, high protein food, weaning food and extrude/other ready to eat food products.
- Beer, including non-alcoholic beer
- Alcoholic drinks from non-molasses base
- Aerated waters / soft drinks and other processed foods
- Specialized packaging for food processing industries
- Technical assistance and advice to the food processing industry