The state govt. of Bihar has launched a mandatory scheme dedicated to all the BPL families living in the state. It has launched the MKVY scheme for those families of Bihar under which the state govt. will grant financial assistance to those families for the marriage of their daughters. The Hon’ble Chief Minister of the state, Shri Nitish Kumar has inaugurated this scheme and is expected to benefit thousands of economically backward families living in the state. Not only offering financial help will support the BPL families, but will also help in reducing the social evil of dowry in the state which is a common practice in the present day also. A sum of Rs. 5 thousand will be provided to the beneficiaries to marry off their daughters.
The objective of the MKVY scheme
The scheme is introduced to help the poor and financially weak families of the state at the time of a very important occasion such as daughter’s marriage. Marrying off a daughter in a social event is a costly affair in states like Bihar and puts a proper amount of financial burden on the poor families. So the scheme will provide financial assistance of Rs. 5 thousand for the marriage of a girl belonging to a BPL family from the state. Another major goal of the MKVY scheme is to minimize the practices of dowry system and child marriage in the society. This financial help at a crucial time will surely ease off the burden of daughters’ marriage up to some extent.
Eligibility criteria of the scheme
Below are some of the set eligibility criteria defined by the govt. of Bihar for getting financial help under the MKVY scheme:
- The age of the girl getting married must be above 18 years, which is the minimum legal age of marriage in India. However, there is no upper age limit mention in the scheme for the girl’s marriage. This restriction is crucial to fighting the evil of child marriage in the state.
- With the addition to the girl’s age, the age of the groom should also be above 21 years which is minimum legal age criteria for marriage in India.
- The girl must belong to a BPL family possessing valid BPL certificate of Bihar. This means the annual income of the girl’s family should be below Rs. 60 thousand.
- The girl must be a permanent resident of Bihar either from birth or due to education with valid domicile certificate.
- Registration of marriage is mandatory to get the financial assistance from Govt. under the scheme.
How to apply for the scheme
To join the MKVY scheme, the eligible beneficiaries should collect and fill up the scheme application form. This form is available in the block office, panchayat office, etc. at free of cost. There is no online mode of registration to the MKVY scheme. However, beneficiaries may download the form online from the link: http://socialwelfare.icdsbih.gov.in/upload/DownloadForm/DF_133396663285.pdf. The application form should be completed and the necessary documents should be attached along with it. There is no registration fee and can be submitted in the same office for necessary verification. After verification by the concerned authorities, the amount of Rs. 5,000 will be provided to the beneficiary via cheque. This can be collected from the panchayat or block office.