There exists a significant gender space in enrolment at the elementary level, which is more acute for scheduled caste and scheduled tribe girls, for whom the gender gap is almost 30% at the primary level and 26% at the upper primary stage. The lower of this gender gap has now plateaued and the further reduction would need a concerted focus on the hard to reach groups. Therefore, it is necessary to cover certain interventions addressing the specific needs of girl children.
Accordingly this project, NPEGEL is initiated for the education of underprivileged/ disadvantaged girls from class 1st to 8th standard as a different and distinct gender component plan of Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA). The gender component is important to achieve Elementary Education for girls in educationally backward areas.
The objectives of the National Programme for Education of Girls at Elementary Level are:
- To develop and encourage facilities to grant access and to facilitate retention of girls and to ensure greater participation of women and girls in the field of education
- To protect the greater participation of women and girls in the field of education.
- To improvise quality of education.
- To improve upon the relevance and quality of girls education for their empowerment.
Educationally Backward Blocks means a block where the level of rural female literacy is low then the National average and the gender gap is above the national average.
Blocks of districts which have at least 5% Schedule Cast/ Schedule Tribal population and Schedule Cast/ Schedule Tribal female literacy rate below 10% shall also be taken up under this programme.
To strengthen the capacity of National, State and district institutions and organizations for planning
How To Apply
Contact any of the followings:
- Contact to The Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan State Implementation Society at State level Or
- Contact to a Gender Coordinator at the State level Or
- Contact to MahilaSamakhya Society Or
- Contact to State Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan Society Or
- Contact to Gender Unit of Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan society Or
Central Government of India
Date of Launch
Women and Child