The Pharma Advisory Forum in its meeting held on 23rd April 2008, decided to launch the Jan Aushadhi Campaign – starting with the sale of generic medicines through dedicated sales outlets called Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Kendra in various districts of the country. It is proposed that at least one PMBJK will be opened in each of the 630 districts of the country to be extended to sub-divisional levels as well as major towns and village centres.
State Governments or any organization / reputed NGOs / Trusts / Private hospitals / Charitable institutions / Doctors / Unemployed pharmacist/ individual entrepreneurs are eligible to apply for new Jan Aushadhi stores. The applicants shall have to employ one B Pharma / D Pharma degree holder as Pharmacist in their proposed store.
- Create awareness among the public regarding generic medicines.
- Create demand for generic medicines through medical practitioners.
- Create awareness through education and awareness program that high price need not be synonymous with high quality.
- Provide all the commonly used generic medicines covering all the therapeutic groups.
- Provide all the related health care products too under the scheme.
Requirements for opening Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Jan Aushadhi Kendra:
- Applications shall be submitted to BPPI either online or offline.
- Own space or hired space duly supported by a proper lease agreement;
- Minimum required space conforming to standards as approved by the BPPI i.e. 120 sq. ft.
- Drug license in the name of “Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Kendra” and other permissions to run a drug store. Compliance with all statutory requirements for storage of drugs shall be ensured by the applicant.
- For individuals, Aadhaar and PAN Card are mandatory.
- For Institutions/NGO/ Charitable Institute/Hospital etc. documents include Aadhaar Card, PAN card, Certificate of Incorporation and Registration certificate.
- For Government/ Govt Nominated Agency documents include Details of Department who has allocated the space, along with supporting documents/ sanction order, PAN card, and Aadhaar Card.
- Proof of securing a pharmacist with computer knowledge (name of the pharmacist, Registration with the State Council etc. needs to be furnished ).
- Financial capacity to run the Store supported by audited accounts for the last three years (Bank Statements for the last 03 years or sanction letter from Bank for extending loan in case of individuals)
The operating agency will be provided with a 20% margin on MRP (Excluding taxes) of each drug. b. PMBJK run by private entrepreneurs/pharmacists / NGOs / NGOs & Charitable organizations that are linked with BPPI headquarters through the internet (using BPPI provided software) will get incentive up to 2.5 lakhs. This will be given @ 15% of monthly sales subject to a ceiling of Rs 10,000/ per month to a total limit of 2.5 lakhs. In NE states and Naxal affected areas, tribal areas, the rate of incentive will be 15% and subject to a monthly ceiling of Rs. 15,000/- to total limit of 2.5 lakhs. c. The Applicants belonging to weaker sections like SC/ST/Differently-abled may be provided medicines worth Rs. 50,000/- in advance within the incentive of Rs. 2.5 lakhs which will be provided in the form of 15% of monthly sales subject to a ceiling of Rs. 10,000/- per month up to a total limit of Rs. 2.5 lakh.