The motto of National Service Scheme is “NOT ME BUT YOU”
The National Service Scheme (NSS) is a Central Sector Scheme of Government of India, Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports. It provides an opportunity to the student youth of 11th & 12th Class of schools at +2 Board level and student youth of Technical Institution, Graduate & Post Graduate at colleges and University level of India to take part in various government-led community service activities & programmes. The sole aim of the NSS is to provide hands-on experience to young students in delivering community service. Since the inception of the NSS in the year 1969, the number of students strength increased from 40,000 to over 3.8 million up to the end of March 2018 students in various universities, colleges and Institutions of higher learning have volunteered to take part in various community service programmes.
National Youth Festivals
National Youth Festivals are organized every year from 12th to 16th January by the Government of India, Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports in collaboration with the State Governments in different parts of the country. Eminent guests, speakers, and youth icons are invited to address and interact with about 1500 participating NSS volunteers during the National Youth Festivals.
Benefits of Being an NSS Volunteer:
An NSS volunteer who takes part in the community service programme would either be a college level or a senior secondary level student. Being an active member these student volunteers would have the exposure and experience to be. Firstly, to accomplish social leadership. Secondly, to have an efficient administrator. Thirdly, a person who understands human nature.
The camps are held every year which are attended by approximately 1500 NSS volunteers with at least 50% of the volunteers being girl students. These camps are conducted in Himalayan Region in the North and Arunachal Pradesh in North East region. The adventure activities undertaken in these camps include trekking of mountains, water rafting, Para-sailing, and basic skiing.
National Integration Camp (NIC):
The National Integration Camp (NIC) is organized every year and the duration of each camp is of 7 days with day-night boarding & lodging. These camps are held in different parts of the country. Each camp involves 200 NSS volunteers to undertake the scheduled activities.
Objectives of the National Integration Camp
- The rich cultural diversity of India
- History of our diversified culture
- National pride through knowledge about India
- To integrate the nation through social service
Objectives of Adventure Program
- Promote various adventure activities among NSS volunteers
- Infuse the sense of love towards the various regions of India
- Enhance leadership qualities, fraternity, team spirit and risk taking capacity.
- Improvement of physical and mental strength
- Exposure to new vocational possibilities
Objectives of NSS Republic Day Parade Camp
- Enable the volunteers to interact with fellow members hailing from various parts of India.
- Experience the tradition, custom, culture, language of all states of India.
- Provide a chance to develop the overall personality of the Student volunteers.
- Constitute the bond of patriotism, national integration, brotherhood, and communal harmony.
Objectives of National Youth Festivals
- Make the volunteers aware of the various festivals celebrated in the country
- Remind the volunteers of the cultural importance of festivals celebrated in our country
- Provide a chance to the NSS volunteers to interact with the resource person/speaker/youth icons