Rashtriya Vayoshri Yojana is a scheme for providing Physical Aids and Assisted-living Devices for Senior citizens coming under Below Poverty Line category. This is a Central Sector Scheme, fully managed and funded by the Central Government. The expenditure for the running of the scheme will come from the “Senior Citizens’ Welfare Fund”. The Scheme will be implemented through an agency – Artificial Limbs Manufacturing Corporation (ALIMCO), a Public sector unit under the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment. The scheme is for a period of 3 years i.e. till 2019-20 which can be its duration.
the population of senior citizens in India is 10.38 crore and around 70% of the population of senior citizens lives in rural areas of the country as per the Census figures of 2011. A reasonable percentage (5.2%) of the senior citizens suffers from some sort of disabilities related to old age. Survey indicate that the number of the elderly population will increase to around 173 million by 2026.
The Government has hence devised the Central Sector Scheme to provide Physical aids and Assisted Living Devices for such senior citizens suffering from age-related disabilities/ infirmities, who belong to BPL category.
Senior Citizens, coming in BPL category and suffering from any of the age-related disability/infirmity for example Low vision, Hearing impairment, Loss of teeth and Locomotors disability will be provided with such assisted-living devices which can restore near normalcy in their bodily functions, overcoming the disability/infirmity manifested. The Scheme is expected to give the advantage of 5, 20,000 Senior Citizens across the country.
Under the Scheme, the following helping aids and Assisted-Living Devices will be provided to eligible elderly beneficiary senior citizens, depending upon their physical impairment.
- Walking sticks
- Elbow crutches
- Walkers / Crutches
- Tripods / Quadpods
- Hearing Aids
- Artificial Dentures
- the extent of disability/infirmity that is manifested among the eligible senior citizens with free of cost distribution of the devices, commensurate
- the assistive devices will be given in respect of each disability/impairment in case of multiple disabilities/infirmities manifested in the same person
- One year free maintenance of the aids & assisted living devices will be undertaken by ALICOM.
- Person to whom these advantages are given in each district will be identified by the State Governments/UT Administrations through a Committee chaired by the Deputy Commissioner/District Collector.
- 30% of the beneficiaries in each district shall be women as far as possible
- utilize the data of BPL beneficiaries receiving Old Age Pension under the NSAP or any other Scheme of the State/UT for identification of senior citizens belonging to BPL category the State Government/UT Administration/District Level Committee can also
- Camp mode devices distribution will be conducted