A Caste Certificate is the proof of one’s belonging to a particular caste, generally in case one belongs to any of the ‘Scheduled Castes’, as fixed in the Indian Constitution. The Government realized that the Scheduled Castes and Tribes need special encouragement and opportunities to progress at the same pace as the rest of the citizenry. As a outcome, as part of the Indian system of Protective Discrimination, there exist certain special advantages granted to this category of citizens, such as reservation of seats in the Legislatures and in the Government Service, waving off a part or the whole of the fees for admission to schools and colleges, quotas in educational institutions, relaxation of upper age limits for applying to certain jobs, etc. To be able to get these privileges, a citizen belonging to a Scheduled Caste must be in possession of a valid Caste Certificate.
Procedure to apply for Caste Certificate Online
Currently, only a few of the state governments only offer an online application to apply for caste certificate. In order to apply the caste certificate online you should visit the correct state’s Official Backward Class Welfare Department portal and follow the below procedure:
Visit your state’s Backward Class Welfare Portal. Department names can be different as per each state.
- Click on URL “Apply for Caste Certificate Online”
- Make a new account in the portal or you can fill an online application form directly.
- After Making the account login into the portal using the username and password
- Fill in the details in an online form such as address, contact details, personal details, local reference details etc…
- Verify all the details you have filled in the online form and if you agree with the terms and condition click submit button.
- Once you deposit you are supposed to click the type of document you are uploading for proof
- Upload the scanned copies of documents and click on “Submit” button Once deposited, then you will get an acknowledgment slip along with the application number.
- You can take a print out of the acknowledgment slip or save it offline. Also, save the application number in order to check the application status.
- After the verification is done successfully, you can directly download the caste certificate from the portal itself
- .You may also get email / SMS once the process is done.
- Meanwhile, you can check the status online from the same portal. On the same portal click on “Check Caste Certificate Status” link. You need an application number for that.
- In order to get the caste certificate offline, you need to visit the nearby Tehsil Office, Revenue Office, SDM Office or CSC / SETU centers. Below are the steps to follow to apply for caste certificate offline.
- Go for Tehsil or SDM office (nearby your location)
- Take the application form for caste certificate and fill the details like address, personal and contact information
- In caste detail portion you need to fill the caste certificate details of your father. If he is no more, then you need to provide your blood relatives caste certificate/documents.
- Then tick mark the caste option you are applying for.
- If you have migrated from another state then you must specify that in the form
- Then you are required to fill and sign the self-declaration part
- In the application form, affix your passport size photo and submit a local reference for the verification process.
Steps to apply for Caste Certificate Offline:
After filling the application form, then submit the original form along with required self-attested documents to the officer. Always keep the original documents with you for further verifications from officers. In General, it will take 30-35 days of time to get the caste certificate from the office.