The June mob killing case from Jharkhand called in big attention. It was a mob attack on a 24-year-old man, named Tabrez Ansari. The police have updated the case with the cause of murder- which says that he died of a cardiac arrest.
While the controversy over the case charge sheet – details of which have risen in media reports this month – the police said, they have filed charges of guilty homicide not amounting to murder against 11 men accused in the attack on 24-year-old Tabrez Ansari. A twelfth accused was arrested on Saturday after he surrendered.
The incident happened in Jharkhand’s Seraikela Kharsawan. He died from his injuries four days later on June 22 in a hospital. Witnesses filmed the incident.
“Medical report did not give any supporting evidence for murder so that we charged (the accused) under culpable homicide not amounting to murder which is also equally punishable if not to the extent of murder sections,” Karthik S, a senior police officer’s statement from Jharkhand.
“Once we got the medical report, we asked for the second opinion from a higher level of experts. They also gave the same sort of opinion,” Karthik S said.
When asked about accusations by the victim’s family that said Tabrez’s head had been completely bashed in, the police superintendent said they could only go by the medical reports.
“That you have to ask the medical experts. I am not an expert in that case. When we had doubts, we went for a second opinion. The experts have given their opinion that he died of a (cardiac) arrest because stress – mental or physical ailment,” he said.
Both the police as well as doctors who examined him first were held responsible for Tabrez Ansari’s death by a 3 member team led by Saraikela-Kharwan Deputy Commissioner Anjaneyullu Dodde set up to probe its cause.
“While the police reached late, the doctors did not diagnose the skull injury correctly,” the report had said.