PM Narendra Modi is addressing the nation for the second time in less than a week, as India grapples with the raging coronavirus pandemic, that has now affected 190 countries worldwide.
He had addressed the nation on efforts to combat the pandemic on March 19, and given a call for ‘Janata curfew’ on March 22, that received a rousing response from across the country.
Here are the highlights from his Tuesday evening address:
* PM thanks nation for success of ‘Janta curfew’ on March 22
* The nation came together as one for Janta curfew
* Coronavirus has stretched the resources of even developed nation
* Social distancing only way to stop coronavirus, please remain within your homes
* Some are under the illusion that social distancing is only for the ones who have the infection
* India will have to pay a very high price if social distancing is not adhered to
* Entire country to be under lockdown from midnight tonight
* Total ban on moving out of homes from midnight tonight, to be enforced more stringently than Janta curfew
* 21 day lockdown to be enforced in entire country
* 21 days of isolation very necessary to break the chain of coronavirus
* 21 days of lockdown, if not effectively enforced, will push country back by 21 years
* There is an invisible ‘Lakshmanrekha’ at everybody’s door