In order to cover the gap between research and development and large-scale application of new building material technologies, the erstwhile Ministry of Urban Development, Government of India, had set up the BUILDING MATERIALS AND TECHNOLOGY PROMOTION COUNCIL in July 1990.
The Council strives to package proven innovative technologies for the benefit of entrepreneurs interested in establishing manufacturing units in tiny, small, medium and large scale sectors.
There has been a demand for establishing such an apex institution in order to provide an interdisciplinary platform to various agencies under Central and State Governments and the private sector for scaling up proven technologies to improve their wide-spread use and for assisting commercial production as well as systematic dissemination of appropriate technology for the advantage of the construction of appropriate technology for the benefit of the construction agencies and different sections of the population.
The Council is structured to be responsible for the task of the extension and application of technologies and materials developed by research institutions on the ground with the backing of financial institutions and enabling regulatory environment.
- Construction Materials & Construction Technologies: To promote development, standardization, mechanization and large-scale field application of proven innovative and emerging building materials and technologies in the construction sector.
- Capacity Building and Skill Development: To operate as a Training Resource Centre for capacity building and promotion of good construction practices to professionals, construction agencies, artisans and marketing of building technologies from lab to land.
- Disaster Mitigation & Management: To encourage methodologies and technologies for natural disaster mitigation, vulnerability & risk reduction and retrofitting/ reconstruction of buildings and disaster resistant planning for human settlements.
- Project Management & Consultancy: To be responsible for the project management and consultancy services including appraisal, monitoring and third-party inspection of housing projects under the various Central/State Schemes.
The Council by its extensive networking with various R&D Institutions, Ministries/Government Departments, Universities, Financial Institutions, Public Agencies, Business Federations/Organizations and various International organizations such as UNIDO, UNCHS, ADB, World Bank etc., strives to give multifaceted S & T services to the various stakeholders in the construction & building sector.
- Help for identification and development of technologies and building materials based on agricultural and industrial wastes and promotion of proven technologies for rural and urban housing construction.
- Advise entrepreneurs in technology selection, prototype development, commercial reduction & marketing and extend appropriate support for training and development/ upgradation of process/technologies and procuring equipment, etc.
- Help in arranging technology transfer from other countries, & the selection and evaluation of foreign technologies.
- Be responsible for Techno-Economic Feasibility Studies and formulation of detailed Project Reports on innovative energy-efficient building materials/products and construction systems.
- Help in capacity building and skill development by training of village artisans, craftsmen and help in production of simple building components using local materials, skills and manpower and to coordinate with national, state and local level institutions of periodic training and orientation courses for professionals like engineers, architects, town planners, contractors and construction managers for generating confidence in use of new materials and technologies.
- Analysis, validation, certification and standardization of innovative building materials and construction technologies through Performance Appraisal Certification Scheme.
- As a clearinghouse of technology transfer from lab to land, by production and application and a repository of information on all types of building materials covering conventional and newly developed, under development in India and abroad.
- Persuade Central and State Government agencies, housing development and construction agencies and organizations in private and community sectors for application of proven are and energy-efficient construction materials and construction technologies.
- Rendering design services on adoption and application of innovative building materials and construction technologies in the housing projects and slum development Programs of Government, Public and Private agencies/bodies.
- Responsible for Rapid Damage Assessment Studies of the disaster-affected areas and to develop and encourage disaster resistant construction technologies.
- Guide on vulnerability and risk assessment and on the formulation of relief, reconstruction and rehabilitation programmers for disaster mitigation and help in capacity building for disaster preparedness.
- Appraisal & Monitoring agency to Government of India in Jawaharlal Nehru Urban Renewal Mission Programs.