Ministry of Electronics & Information Technology (MeitY) has notified “Electronics and Information Technology Goods (Requirement for Compulsory Registration) Order, 2012”, centering Indian Safety Standards for the notified goods under the registration scheme notified by BIS issued under the ambit of BIS Act, 1986.
As per the scheme of the order, the manufacturers of notified products are required to apply for registration from Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) after getting their product tested from BIS recognized labs. Further, no person shall manufacture or store for sale, import, sell or distribute goods which do not mention to the Indian standard specified in the order.
The initiative is set to:
- Indian consumers with the right to enjoy world-class goods.
- Enhance the quality of domestic products for bringing Global competitiveness.
- Established strategy to stop dumping of non-compliant goods.
- Conserve business interest of entrepreneurs for effective negotiation at International trade agreements, Bilateral and Multilateral trade agreements.
- For projecting a positive image internationally as a country with a world-class production of the Electronics & IT goods.