Cloud Computing Services gives the new model of offering services (Platform as a Service (PaaS), Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS), Software as a Services (SaaS) and Storage as a Service (STaaS)) to the users at a fast pace which is also cost effective. In order to use and harness the advantages of Cloud Computing, Government of India has embarked upon an ambitious initiative – “GI Cloud” which has been named as ‘MeghRaj’. This initiative is to implement different components including governance mechanism to ensure the proliferation of Cloud in the government. The objective of this initiative is to accelerate delivery of e-services in the country while optimizing ICT spending of the Government.
Advantages of GI Cloud
- Maximum utilization of existing infrastructure
- Fast deployment and reusability: Any software made available by any government of department in India can be made available to other departments as well without additional costs.
- Manageability and maintainability: It gives a single point for maintaining Information & Communication Technology (ICT) infrastructure in India.
- Scalability: According to the demands of the population of India, the infrastructure of the government can be increased accordingly.
- Proper service delivery
- Security: A security framework for the entire GI Cloud will take to the less environmental complexity and less potential vulnerability.
- Increased user engagement
- The decrease in effort in managing technology
- Suitable of first time IT solution deployment
- Cost deduction
- Standardization: GI Cloud shall set rules the standards around interoperability, integration, security, data security, and portability etc.
Services offered as part of National Cloud
The National Informatics Centre (NIC) is giving National Cloud services under the initiative MeghRaj. The services offered are as follows.
Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
IaaS gives you basic virtual compute infrastructure resources like CPU, Memory, Disk Storage attached to blank VMs with allowing you to install OS, using ISOs, from scratch and customization. However, you have to utilize your own licenses for OS and Application software (if any).
Platform as a Services (PaaS)
PaaS gives pre-installed web and database servers so that you can publish and run web application without worrying about server setup. The servers are pre-configured ready with certain security hardening. Use PaaS service to quickly deploy servers and publish your web applications. The OS & Application Software licenses are granted by us as part of the offering.
Software as a Services (SaaS)
These grants on-demand software service. SaaS is a software delivery model where users are not responsible for supporting the application or any of the components. The server infrastructure, OS and software are being controlled by cloud services. If you are having a web application and want to give it to users, use our Cloud Service to deliver through Software as a Service.
Storage as a Service (STaaS)
STaaS gives need-based storage solution. It gives an excellent alternative to the traditional on-site and dedicated storage systems and reduces the complexities of deploying and managing multiple storage tiers. You can use it to mitigate risks in disaster recovery, gives long-term retention for records and enhance both continuity and availability.
NIC Cloud Services gives 3 different types of environment for creating virtual machines i.e. Production, Staging, and Development so that you keep your VM segregated and manage them properly based on the business need for both PaaS as well as IaaS service model.
Following are the Services support provided to your application as part of the cloud hosting :
- Server Vulnerability Assessment
- Server Anti-virus
- Server Backup
- Network/Application Firewall