Museums are a repository of a nation’s culture as they had explicit examples of the proof of the development of a country’s culture and heritage over a period of time. There are around 1,000 museums in India. These covers museums under the Central Government, State governments, District level Museums, Museums under universities as well as many private museums.
One of the apex mandates of the Ministry of Culture is the development and up-gradation of the Museums within the country. Some of the most nodal Museums of India like the National Museum, New Delhi, Indian Museum and Victoria Memorial Hall, Kolkata, Salar Jung Museum, Hyderabad, Allahabad Museum, Indira Gandhi Rashtriya Manav Sangrahalay (IGRMS) Bhopal and the 3 National Galleries of Modern Art at New Delhi, Mumbai and Bengaluru respectively function under the control of the Ministry of Culture in several capacities. Apart from these, the Archaeological Survey of India also has site museums at 44 locations bifurcated throughout the country in proximity to important archaeological sites.
Digital repository for Indian museums
The Ministry of Culture embarked on a programme to digitize the collections in its museums, whether on display or in stores, to provide better access and information on various themes, national and regional histories and the rich craftsmanship that is reflected in Indian art. The National portal for Museums is one of them. It had a vast and rich resource of the museum collections of India and their stories.
Digitized resources are presently available from 10 major museums –
- National Museum, New Delhi
- National Gallery of Modern Art, Delhi
- National Gallery of Modern Art, Mumbai
- National Gallery of Modern Art, Bangalore
- Salar Jung Museum, Hyderabad
- Allahabad Museum, Allahabad
- Indian Museum, Kolkata
- Victoria Memorial Hall, Kolkata
- Archaeological Survey of India site Museum, Goa
- Archaeological Survey of India site Museum, Nagarjunakonda
Citizens can access the following information from the digital repository
- Description about the museum
- Timeline visualization of artifacts
- A virtual gallery of exhibits