Administration Education Rural Development Social Empowerment

What is Odisha Primary Education Programme Authority (OPEPA)?

Odisha Primary Education Programme Authority

Odisha Primary Education Programme Authority (OPEPA) came into work as a registered society on 30th January 1996. The School & Mass Education(S & ME) department in the Government of Odisha has the responsibility to achieve the objectives of Universal Elementary Education (UEE). The S&ME depth. Operated from two agencies called Directorate of Elementary Education (DEE) and Odisha Primary Education Programme Authority (OPEPA) to realize the goals of UEE. While DEE manages the whole manpower of teachers, inspectors & administrators, OPEPA implements the flagship program of SSA in the entire state. There are about 65.29 lakh children studying in about 65712 educational institutes.

The main programs of Odisha Primary Education Programme Authority are listed below:

Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA):

Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan (SSA) is Government of India’s flagship project for the achievement of Universalization of Elementary Education (UEE) in a time bound manner, as mandated by 86th amendment to the Constitution of India making free and compulsory Education to the Children of 6-14 years age group, a Fundamental Right.

In Odisha, SSA has been implemented in 30 districts since 2001 with the following goals –

  • All children of 6-14 years age group in school by 2003.
  • All children to complete 5 years of schooling by 2007.
  • All children to complete 8 years of schooling by 2010.
  • Universal retention by 2010.
  • Bridge all gender and social category gaps at primary stage by 2007 and at Upper Primary stage by 2010.
  • Focus on Elementary Education of satisfactory quality with a focus on education for life.

National Programme for Education of Girls at Elementary Level:

The National Programme for Education of Girls at Elementary Level (NPEGEL), is an objective intervention of the Government of India, to reach the “Hardest to Reach” girls, especially those not in school. Set up in July 2003, it is an important component of SSA, which provides additional support for enhancing girl’s education over and above the investments for girl’s education through normal SSA interventions.

Objectives of the programme:-

  • Reduction of the gender gap in the education sector.
  • Ensure the greater participation of women and girls in the field of education.
  • Enhancing the quality of education.
  • Stress upon the relevance and quality of girls education for their empowerment.

Kasturba Gandhi Balika Vidyalaya (KGBV)

It is a project launched in July 2004, for setting up residential schools at an upper primary level for girls belonging predominantly to the SC, ST, OBC and minority communities. The project is being implemented in educationally backward blocks of the country where the female rural literacy is below the national average and gender gap in literacy is above the national average. KGBVs will be established in those EBBs that do not have residential schools for the elementary education of girls under any other scheme of Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment and Ministry of Tribal Affair. The project provides for a minimum reservation of 75% of the seats for girls belonging to SC, ST, OBC or minority communities and priority for the remaining 25%, is accorded to girls from families below poverty line.


  • To ensure access to the disadvantaged girls
  • To give the quality of education to all girls
  • To make the school environment girl-child-friendly


humidity: 94%
wind: 4m/s WSW
H 23 • L 23
Weather from OpenWeatherMap