Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana is a big initiative taken by the government to provide universal access to banking facilities starting with Basic Saving Bank Account for everyone. The Government has left no stone unturned in ensuring the success of the scheme. It was announced by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi on 15th August 2014 and propel was done by him on 28th August 2014 across the country. It is basically for Financial Inclusion to ensure access to financial services, namely, Banking/ Savings & Deposit Accounts, Remittance, Credit, Insurance, Pension in an affordable manner. At present more than 17.5 crore bank accounts have been opened under Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana (PMJDY) and the people have deposited more than Rs.22,000 crore in these accounts.
How can one open PMJDY savings account/ documents required for opening a PMJDY savings account?
- the passport,
- the driving license,
- the Permanent Account Number (PAN) Card,
- the Voter’s card issued bye-election Commission of Republic of India,
- job card issued by NREGA duly signed by an official of the state government,
- the letter issued by the distinctive Identification Authority of the Republic of India containing details of name, address and Aadhaar number, or
- the other document as notified by the Central Government in consultation with the Regulator:
- Provided that wherever simplified measures are applied for substantiating the identity of the clients the subsequent documents shall be deemed to be formally valid documents:—
- card with applicant’s Photograph issued by Central/State Government Departments, Statutory/Regulatory Authorities, Public Sector Undertakings, scheduled business Banks, and Public monetary Institutions;
- the letter issued by a Gazetted officer, with a punctually authenticated photograph of the person.
The advantage of PMJDY account-
- Accidental Insurance Cover
- No Minimum Balance Required Under Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana
- Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana Life Insurance Cover of Up to Rs 30,000
- Direct Transfer of Subsidies and Other Benefits
- Easy Transfer of Money
- Overdraft Facility
- Holders of PMJDY would also get access to pension and other insurance products.
How to Download the form for Jan Dhan Yojana bank account
Follow the steps to download the form and fill the form and apply for a Jan Dhan account at a bank of your choice:
For people who need to download the form in English or Hindi, visit this page –
Once you have got the application for a Jan Dhan account, fill within the needed personal details which will be stated against your bank account in the future:
- Name of the account holder
- Address of the account holder
- The annual income of the account holder
- Existing bank accounts of any members of the family (optional)
- Kissan MasterCard number (optional)
The next step is to say the name of the bank that you just want to open your account with.
Example: state bank of India, Punjab national bank, etc. whereas doing, therefore, mention the IFSC code of the bank.
With relation to the bank that you just have chosen to open your Jan Dhan account with, fill in the following details:
- Name of the bank
- Village or city of the bank branch
- Subdistrict/ block name of the bank branch
- District it falls beneath
- State the bank branch is situated in
- SSA code/ward number
- Village code or city code
- Tick on the choice of receiving a Rupay card once the bank account has been opened.